t w e n t y - o n e

Klaus, Charlie, and one of Klaus' trusty hybrids walked into the Grill to get a few drinks. Charlie looked to the side and scoffed under his breath, nudging Klaus. Elena and Damon were standing at the dart board, standing incredibly close.

Charlie turned and walked over, smirking as Klaus stood next to him on the stairs. "Oh, don't mind us," Charlie said playfully as he walked up the steps so he stood a little closer to the two of them.

Elena practically jumped away from Damon and turned around to come face-to-face with her supposed older brother. "Charlie," She gasped before her eyes fled behind him and looked at the original that she thought had left. "Klaus."

Damon scoffed as he walked closer to Charlie and Klaus. "You going to do this in the grill, in front of everyone? It's a little beneath the two of you, don't you think?"

Klaus shrugged, a grin on his lips. "I don't know what you're talking about. I just came down to my local pub to grab a drink with a few of my mates." Klaus looked at his hybrid. "Get a round, then, would you, Tony?"

Elena seemed to recognize the guy that was with Klaus and Charlie. He was the man she had seen on her run earlier that day. Tony smirked at Elena before he turned and walked off to the bar to get some drinks.

"I'm surprised you stuck around town long enough for happy hour."

Charlie hummed, nodding along as Klaus grabbed the darts from Damon. "Rebekah seems to be missing. Need to sort that out first." He explained.

Damon smirked slightly, almost like he enjoyed how much he knew it angered Charlie that he couldn't find the barbie original. "Cute, blonde bombshell, psycho. Shouldn't be too hard to find."

"Truth is, I've grown to rather like your little town. Thinking I might fancy a home here. I imagine you're wondering how does this affect you." Klaus tossed a dart at the board and it landed dead center. "And the answer is, not in the slightest. As long as I get what I want, and everyone behaves themselves, you can go on living your little lives however you choose. You have my word."

Elena's eyebrows furrowed. "What more could you possibly want?"

Charlie grabbed the darts from the board, brushing past Damon who clenched his jaw. "Well, for starters, you can tell us where we might find Stefan."

"Stefan skipped town the second he saved your ass." Damon glared at Klaus.

"Well, you see, that is a shame. Your brother stole from me. I need him found so I can take back what's mine."

"That sounds like a Klaus and Stefan problem." Elena said this, trying to sound all confident but the moment Charlie set eyes on her, she felt her knees go weak.

He gets closer to her but Damon planted himself in front of her. Charlie looks at him and smiles slightly as he playfully pat Damon's cheek. "Well, this is us broadening the scope, sweetheart."

▪ ▪ ▪

Charlie was on his way out of the police station when the lapels of his jacket were grabbed and he was pushed into the brick wall next to the glass doors. He grunted at the force that was used before he looked up at his attacker.

"What the bloody hell are you doing, Damon?" Charlie snapped, staying where he was, encased by Damon's arms.

"What the hell is wrong with you? How could you be so heartless to allow Jeremy and Alaric to get hurt just because Klaus didn't get his way?" He growled out, his blue eyes glaring into Charlie's.

Charlie's face fell and Damon almost believed that he didn't know what he meant. "What's wrong with Alaric and Jeremy?" He asked softly.

Damon rolled his eyes. "Don't act like you don't already know!" Damon snapped. "What I want to know is why you would let it happen."