t w e n t y - t w o

Klaus glanced into Charlie's room and he frowned in confusion when he saw he was packing a bag. "Are you leaving?"

Charlie looked up and pursed his lips as he placed a few more items into his bag before zipping it. "Just for the time being. I'm going to go search for my birth family."

"But this is also your way of getting away from everyone in Mystic Falls," Klaus began, raising an eyebrow when Charlie was silent. "If this is about Jeremy, I apologize that I went to those lengths but I want my-"

"Family back, I know." Charlie huffed out as he stepped away from his bag. "If you truly cared about them, you wouldn't keep them in boxes, Klaus." Charlie snapped.

Klaus seemed a little shocked. Charlie had never once called him Klaus, it was always Nik or Niklaus. It hurt him deep down but he wouldn't show that. Charlie shook his head in irritation when he didn't answer before he brushed past him, heading down the stairs.

Klaus followed after him closely, but he turned in the other direction when he saw Rebekah's body laying on a table. Charlie saw it to and he stopped, his lips parting in shock. "Rebekah..." He breathed out as he moved in her direction but Klaus stepped in his way.

"Rebekah will not be undaggered as of right now, Charles. She lied to me as well as you, she deserves to have the dagger in a little longer."

Charlie's eyes darted between Klaus and Rebekah before he nodded slightly. "She told me that she was glad that Michael was out of our lives and asked me if we could get away after prom." He mumbled to Klaus before he sighed and focused on him again. "Do what you want, I'm leaving. I'll be back in a week."

▪ ▪ ▪

Charlie listened closely to what Damon was saying and his hatred for Elena just seemed to increase all the more. "So, you just compelled him to leave Mystic Falls without even consulting me?"

Damon sighed as he rubbed his forehead. "It needed to be done, Charlie."

"No, Damon, it didn't need to be done. It's what Elena wanted to be done. I understand that you harbor feelings for her, but you shouldn't do everything she asks of you."

"I haven't exactly figured my feelings out." Damon said stiffly. Charlie was silent on the other end as he walked down the street of the city he was in. He decided to start in the best possible place he could think of: the French Quarter in Louisiana. "Is that jazz? Where are you at?"

"Louisiana, I'm here on business. Just keep me posted if anything bad happens, would you?"

"Sure," Damon said, slightly confused. What business did he have in Louisiana?

"I'll talk to you soon, Damon." Charlie said before he hung up, continuing on his trek towards the cemetary but before he could, someone bumped into him making him drop his jacket. "Excuse me-"

"Sorry!" A soft voice said as the girl hurried to bend down to grab his outercoat before she looked up at him. She smiled brightly as he took it. "Sorry, I'm a little clumsy. I'm Davina Claire!"

Charlie smiled and tilted his head in interest. "Well, it's a pleasure, Miss Claire. I'm Charlie..." He paused for a moment as he thought about the city around him and the stories Elijah had told him. "Charlie Gilbert."

▪ ▪ ▪

The trip back to Mystic Falls wasn't as bad with Davina on the phone to keep him company. She was a sweet little witch that aided him in his search for his family. They spent a whole week together and barely scratched the surface of anything. It was like he didn't really exist.