She was pushing it.

     Jeremy looked at me with hopeful eyes waiting for my response. He really was trying and it was a shame I was having a hard time returning the favor. I tried my hardest to think of a good response before speaking up hoping that my response wouldn't sound stupid.

"Well, one of the things that made me fall in love with you was that you're a great cook. I love some nights when you're off from work and you cook for me and the kids. It's sweet and intimate."

"That was better Angie much more personal, now I just need one more quality. Try digging deeper."

"I love your sense of humor, most men in suits and ties feel the need to be sophisticated and professional all the time, you aren't like that which is a breath of fresh air. Most things in my life are entirely too serious and you give me a break from that Jeremy by trying your hardest to keep my mind at ease and a smile on my face.

     I rambled endlessly getting lost in the ice-breaking exercise it was much more beneficial than I believed it to be. Maybe this was what I needed to let some things out. Jeremy held eye contact with me allowing a soft smile to form on his face for the first time in a while.

"We're making a breakthrough already that's wonderful."

The therapist sat up in her chair closing up the notebook placing it in her lap.

"Now from reading body language and seeing how you two respond and connect with one another, I can tell there are not that many problems in your marriage. For the problems that are there, I would like both of you to explain what you feel the problems are."

Here comes the challenging stuff.

"Please keep it respectful some couples get a little too intense."

Jeremy sat up holding his face in a serious manner with a pillow against his stomach.

"I think our biggest problem is communication which is extremely important with any relationship. We don't let one another know how we are feeling or when there is something going on personally and it's drifting us apart."

He grabbed my hand holding it in his, "it's hard for Angie to open up to me sometimes, and when she does there is an underline of disrespect and defense."

Although I had a few complaints about his response I listened trying to understand his viewpoint.

"Angie, how do you feel about that?"

I thought long and hard, "a lot of what Jeremy is saying is right. I don't listen or communicate and sometimes I run over him. It's because he's so gentle and patient with me and I take advantage of that on some occasions."

Wow, realizing that gave me a moment of Epiphany.

"Good job Jeremy, now Angie go ahead."

"A huge problem in our marriage is understanding one another's circumstances which goes along with communication and listening. Although I am a housewife I'm under a lot of stress at times. Between raising two kids and running a household frustration comes naturally. I understand that Jeremy is at work most of the time, but when he's there he is only focused on one task, his job. As for me, I have to worry about several things at once."