EP:6

Chapter 6

Owen's Perspective

"When I count my blessings I count you twice."-Irish Blessing

•••••

        LIFE is limitless but to a degree. I believe the abundant life is limitless, but an average life has its limits. To get to an abundant life you have to live in blissfulness. Chasing the dreams that you desire not the dream you are taught. We are taught that success equals money and that money equals happiness. However, my parents valued the true meaning of happiness sharing that notion with me. Happiness equals success and if your beliefs are strong enough, wealth is equivalent to happiness. I may have not been a rich man, but I was happy and that's what mattered the most.

     When I told my parents I desired to be a mechanic it didn't sit with them well. Apparently I had far too much potential in life than just being a regular old mechanic, but cars were my passion. I knew everything there was to know about an automobile. Cars were my purpose and meaning in life. I'd rather make less doing what I love than make more regretting my profession for the rest of my life.

"What's good man?" My homeboy Andre asked coming over slapping me on the back.

"Shit nothin' right now," I responded after putting a spare tire on a Lexus. I got up off the ground covered in black smut wiping my hands off with a rag.

"Man I know I'm bout ready to get off."

"Man you always ready to get off." I shook my head at him walking over to my toolbox.

"This ain't my life nigga unlike you, besides I gotta prepare early to watch the game tonight."

I chuckled, "you somethin' else man."

"Shit I might clock out early." Andre laughed walking over to his section of the dealership.

"But aye, you still comin' to my house party Friday night? I got some fine ass females comin' through."

"Yeah I'm still comin' Dre, but keep it down man damn we at work."

"And... these corporate niggas ain't takin the country outta me."

    I shook my head as he walked away. I met Andre a couple of years back at the dealership. The first few days, I thought I was the only brother present. It was cool to meet someone I could relate to plus the dude was funny as shit, we clicked instantly.

    I had only an hour left on my shift, but unlike Dre I could stay here all night working on cars, but I had to stop by and see my momma before the day ended. Since I was actually done with my duties for the day I went over to my supervisor's office tapping on the door to let him know I would be heading out soon.

"Come in," he spoke in a stoic tone from the opposite side of the door.

"Aye Matt, I'm done for the day is it cool if I head out early?"

"That's fine Owen just make sure your station is clean and you can go." He said straightening up his tie.

"Cool," I closed the door back getting ready to leave.