Part 1-- The Beginning

I was sitting outside on a bench, simply reading and minding my own business. I heard the familiar grunting and pounding of a fight, but it was louder...and coming closer. I put my book in my bag and slung it over my shoulder, then walked toward the sound of the fight, only to realize I was yards away from it. There was one guy in the center of it all: John.

Damn, I gotta get outta here, I thought, then snuck away. I got to the street, then booked it to the coffee shop a block away. "Damn these shoes I can't run in," I growled, still running.

I arrived at the coffee shop and put my hair up, then stood outside for a moment to catch my breath before finally going inside and taking in the lovely feel of air conditioning. I ordered an iced chai tea latte, then camped out in the store for a while. I probably loitered for like an hour just reading and occasionally checking out the window to make sure no one from school had come to drag me into the fight.

I went straight home that day to tell my parents about the fight.

A few short months later...

"Thanks for helping me unpack, Mom," I smiled.

"No problem. Call me and tell me how your first day of school goes next week!", my mom jumped in her car and drove off.

I took the next few days to myself to get settled into my apartment and get organized before school. 

A week later...

"Alright class, this is-" I side-glared at the teacher- "Katherine Davis! I hope you will all give her a good first day!"

Some of the kids gave a pathetic wave as I made my way to the seat the teacher gestured at. A dark-haired kid with gelled hair next to me (Clark Kent vibes) caught my eye, and I thought I knew him from somewhere. Had I seen him on the street? As soon as I begin to consider that I went to school with him at some point, it clicks that Clark Kent next to me is John. I had been his acquaintance-I guess- at New Bostin. And I thought he was pretty hot, I suppose I liked him. I felt heat rush to my face and I quickly flicked my gaze down at my textbook. History class sucked, but ironically, I loved history. I guess I just hate the way teachers teach it.

I half listened to the teacher lecture about WWII for an hour and then class was finally over. I was putting my stuff in my backpack when I felt John glance at me, then turn away.

"So, new kid, what's your ability?", someone asked behind me.

I hated this question. People could figure out my weakness. I had 2 go-to answers, enhanced senses and energy control.

"Enhanced senses," I lied, still putting my crap away. I tightened my ponytail, then stood up.

"Wait- we aren't done," the kid grabbed my shoulder.

"What else must you know?", I raised my eyebrows.

"Power level."

"Ah, I believe 4.2," I took the kid's hand off my shoulder. I looked at my schedule, and groaned when I saw I had Math. I trekked down the hall to the math room, only to see a kid getting beat up.

"WHERE IS MY HOMEWORK?", the kid shrieked.

"I forgot it in my dorm, I'm so sorry!", the kid getting beat up cried.

"SORRY ISN'T GOING TO GIVE ME MY HOMEWORK!"

Fair point. I didn't show it on my face, but I was somewhat amused by this, though I hated seeing the kid getting beat up because of a normal human glitch. I activated my ability and made the bully think he was being stabbed repeatedly. Once the other kid stood up, I deactivated my powers and walked into class.

I asked the teacher where I could sit, and he pointed to a desk in the front, so I nodded and sat at the indicated desk.

Thanks for reading! I'm going to try to publish longer chapters every Tuesday

- Schlorgan_27 :)