Part 15-- Like?

Tessa

"Yeah, you're gonna go to the dance with Isen, right?", Remi asks as I briefly step out of frame to taste the cream of wheat.

"Yeah," I lie, activating my ability to make the illusion that I'm not as I step into frame, occasionally taking a bite of the hot porridge. I mean, I'm not lying per se. I am going to the dance, but then a movie right aft...oh. 

I was asked on a date.

I'm going on a date.

Is that why Isen asked if I liked anyone?

"So, are you excited?", Remi asks. 

"Yeah, yeah," I nod. Did Isen not tell Remi about our actual movie date? Or "date", should I say? I think it's worth noting that I agreed to go to the movie and dance with Isen as friends, but I don't necessarily mind it as a date.

Remi and I talk for a bit, then she says she has to go and hangs up. I enjoy the rest of my evening in peace and quiet.

~~{big time skip sponsored by raid shadow legends}~~

Yay, it's Friday. The day of the dance. I'm genuinely excited, as sarcastic as my thoughts are.

It's 3:30 right now, I've got my coffee and I'm walking to my apartment hoping that John isn't going to conveniently pop out of a bush somewhere and say hi or talk to me or something. 

My phone vibrates in my pocket an it's my mom calling me.

"Yo," I greet and my mom reciprocates my greeting.

"Are you doing anything fun tonight? Also I miss you, it's really boring without you here," my mom asks.

"Well, funny you should ask," I pretend to look at the camera like I'm on The Office. "Because I've actually got plans tonight."

"What do those plans entail?", my mom presses. Excitement is building in her voice.

"I'm going to a dance, but then ditch it early to go to a movie with my friend," I reply, unlocking my door and stepping into my apartment.

"A guy friend?"

"Yep," I nod.

"Do you like him?"

"I...I think so," I reply with a little blush. Where did that come from? Maybe I actually do like Isen. He is sweet, and a nerd, and not a misogynist, and I'm able to confide in him. Not to mention he's also a complete badass...on occasion.

"You better wear something nice," my mom threatens.

"Rest assured I will," I nod.

"So when's the dance?"

"Starts at 7."

"Do you have a dress or do you need to go shopping?"

"I have a dress," I answer flatly. I'm not wearing a dress, or heels, or putting a full face of makeup on. "Oh, Remi's calling me, I gotta go."

"Bye, hun, love you!", my mom quickly forces out and then I accept Remi's call.

"Love you too. Hey, Remi," I smile and open my closet.

"Babe! What are you going to wear?", Remi asks excitedly. 

"I don't know," I shrug. 

"I'm coming over," Remi declares.

"Wait! Uh," I pull my phone away from my ear and see that Remi's already hung up. 

"Damnit," I whisper to myself and pull out a short, black denim skirt and a loose black sweater with a black v-neck to wear under it. I'll wear a good amount of eyeliner, black lipstick, and some glittery purple eyeshadow....probably much to Remi's annoyance.

As I'm changing, Remi knocks at my door and I let her in.

"Ooh, goth gf look, I like that!", Remi smiles when she scans me.

"Thanks," I reply. "You look nice, who's your date?"

"Oh no, I'm single. Arlo just wants me to supervise in case something happens," Remi shrugs. She looks honestly fabulous in her dark red dress with a low cut v-neck and a cinched waist that shows off Remi's figure quite nicely.

"Really? That sucks," I lean against my bedroom threshold.

"Arlo's very pushy, I never had a choice," Remi sighs and pushes past me to look in my closet.

"Are you sure you want to wear that to a dance?", Remi asks me.

"I doubt I'll stay long," I shrug and stalk over to my desk to grab my hairbrush and I pull my hair back half up half down and twist the half up portion into a little bun.

"Isen'll like that," Remi smiles and I flex my thigh to prevent blushing.

quick author's note here to say that flexing your thigh legit works if you're blushing uncontrollably around your crush like I do

now back to your regularly scheduled fanfiction...

"Thanks...I guess?", I cock my head to the side.

Isen

Okay, what do I wear?, I internally panic and throw open my closet. I find a black button down I wore to a funeral that one time because I didn't have anything else.

Then it hits me.

Tessa would appreciate me poorly cosplaying as Billie Joe Armstrong for our date

I contemplate wearing eyeliner, but I can't put it on correctly, so ultimately I decide against it before heading out. Tessa proposed we meet up at the vending machines near the gym. 

After about 30 minutes of overthinking and making sure I looked as perfect as I could, I headed out of the boys' dorms and over to the school.

"Tessa!", I call out to my crush.

"Hey!", Tessa smiles and puts her phone in her pocket.