Part 30--Stop.

mild trigger warning for mentions of trauma

Tessa

"I need to what?", John hisses.

Okay, okay, I planned for this. I wrote notes down, I know what to say. I won't agitate him and try to calm him down.

"I didn't mean to sound condescending--", I start.

"Damnit, Tessa, I thought you were listening!", John cuts me off.

"I was."

"Oh?", John scoffs.

"I know you've been thr--"

"No! I'm not going to a *swear*-ing therapist! I'm fine the way I am!"

"You are?", I raise an eyebrow, regretting what I say as soon as it comes out. "You snap at everyone who presents an opinion that doesn't align with your own--"

"You--"

"Nope, I'm *swear*-ing talking, John Doe," I scold. "You need help. You can't keep relying on Seraphina to keep saving you because you're unstable and you can't deny it because I can feel it, John. I can feel the hurt and anger and hatred in you every time I see you."

John doesn't respond.

"What do you think will happen when Seraphina finally realizes that being friends with you isn't getting her anywhere and that she wants a good reputation? What will happen then? Is Arlo going to be your ex machina? Me? I'm not going to put up with your *swear*. What quality of life can you have right now?", I rant.

"Look," I take a breath and calm down. "I do think that therapy could help you."

"Why didn't it do anything last time?"

"Because it caused trauma instead of helping you deal with your actual issues."

"I'm not traumatized," John defends.

"Then what's the problem with going to therapy?", I counter harshly. 

"You don't know me...," John growls. "You do realize I know where you live, right?"

"You do realize I can control your mind, right?"

"Touche, but I'm at your door right now and I'd be real careful about what you say next."

I pause before using my ability to look for any brain activity near my door.

"No you're not. Threats aren't getting you anywhere," I reply coldly.

"Made you look," John's smirk is audible. Is someone at my window? I have to check.

"I will not be manipulated by an angry kid with daddy issues," I declare for my own comfort.

"That makes two of us."

"Damnit, that was good," I let out a chuckle after a short pause.

"And you think I need therapy. You're just me that pretends to be put together."

"I'll concede that you're right about pretending to be put together, but I'm closer to being actually put together than you."

John scoffs. "Oh, come on, do you honestly think that your friends actually like you? That they need you around? Didn't Isen find out about your past before you became friends? How can you be so sure that Isen isn't using you to get to me?"

"Shut up," I hiss, clenching my fists.

"Let's be honest here, Sera doesn't need me and the royals don't need you," John taunts.

"Shut up!", I stand up. 

"Think about it: all those days spent being a nerd with Isen, getting to know Remi and Blyke, learning from Arlo. All for nothing. It was all to get to me. You're a means to an end, Tessa."

"That's not true...," I run my hands through my hair and sink to my knees.

"Without me, you have no life at Wellston. Isn't that--"

"Stop."

"Mm? I got to you, didn't I?"

"What the *swear* makes you think you're worth weeks of labor getting to know me so I can be manipulated? Why not just pay me to *swear* you up?"

"Because you had feelings for me."

Oh, right. That's something I'd prefer to forget.

"I'd like to think that I could have been persuaded to do something to you with money."

"I have a feeling that it would have had to be an impressive sum to get you to not do anything s3xual to me."

"Can your grandiosity shut the hell up for a minute?", I snap. "Do you think you're a *swear*-ing turkish delight?"

"Irresistible," John chuckles. "Well done."

"You are unbelievable," I huff.

I feel like I'm feeding him. I'm just fanning the flames at this point.

"What do you think Isen's doing right now?", John changes his tone.

"Don't."

"You know they want me in his dorm, right?"

"They don't. The school won't risk the lawsuits that come from having people live with someone as violent as you," I can't help myself.

"And did you ever wonder why you weren't told to live at the school?"

"Because I specifically requested not to live there."

"You're just as dangerous as me."

"Oh, *swear* off," I scoff. "You're unstable and you need some goddamn help."

I hang up, my good judgement finally deciding to do something.

Is Isen going to be okay?

.....................

thanks for reading, lads! I hope you liked it