34: A Dead Flower

Start from the beginning

"I am sorry, Mr Park. I am busy today."

"Then tomorrow?", He asked.

"I have to go for my regular health check up.", I lied. Why was he being so persistent?

"How about the day after tomorrow?"

"I have plans with my sister."

"How about the day which is the day after tomorrow?"

Oh lord. He isn't giving up.

"I am sorry, Mr Park but I am really busy this week. I will take my leave now.", I hastened to leave but I was stopped by Jimin's grip on my wrist.

"Can't we talk? I want to ask you about how you have been doing.", He said with sincerity reflecting in his eyes.

But I hate that sincerity. It made me hope before and now it was crushed making me too afraid to hope, to expect.

"But there's nothing special to talk about. The discussions for the product will be made on the next meeting."

"I don't want to talk about the  damn product. I just want to ask how you have been. I have been wanting to meet you.", He told.

"Why? What is there to meet me for?", I asked him.

He hesitated to speak.

"Please don't forget the circumstances where I left. We are merely acquaintances now. We shouldn't dwell on the past. Let's keep everything professional. And I am good. My life is going great."

"I know I hurt you but I want to make things right once again.", His look repeated his plea while I remained silent.

"I don't want you to make things right. Sometimes, things are better just the way they are. The chapter is closed. I have already moved on. Thank you for your concern. ", I said.

"I won't give up. Not until I talk with you.", He told firmly.

"Sometimes, we should give up. Don't continue watering a dead flower.", I said and left the room.

*****

Jimin

"What should I do, Yoongi hyung?", I asked while pacing back and forth in the living  room. Yoongi was lazily sprawled on the couch in my house. It was around 8 pm right now and I had invited him over getting hopeless about everything.

He munched the remaining chips and said, "This one is good. Send around 10 packets to my house later."

"For free.", He added grinning widely.

"Aren't you too relaxed? I am getting so anxious here and you have just been sitting and munching chips. I called you here for help.", I told in frustration.

"If it had been some months ago, I would have never believed a person who would say that you would be a love sick fool.", He said. "But well, you never fail to surprise me."

"I did what you told me.", I said.

"No, you didn't. That wasn't my plan. My plan would never be such a failure. You took that Areum girl's suggestion. I had thought that it would be a good idea because you could keep her by your side. But everything has it's pros and cons. Now look where it got you."

"Then why didn't you say before when I asked for your opinion?! You two agreed to play matchmakers after all."

"Well, if you can't extinguish a fire, might as well add some fuel to it.", He shrugged his shoulders.