He Dies, She Dyes

I don't do this often in my oneshots, in order to keep myself from using the wrong pronouns or getting confused, but Alex has a gender switch in this chapter. Anyway, to give credit where it's due, lonelymirrorghost  gave me the adorable idea for this oneshot!

Magnus's POV

It was a cold, misty morning on the battlefield. I sat next to Alex in a tree, watching a bloody massacre unfold below our feet. You know, the usual. During the training battles, Alex and I sometimes liked to hide up there and just watch people die. Of course, eventually, we would go down and fight, but a little quality time with my favorite person was more important. (and more fun.)

It was fairly early, so the leaves on the tree were still covered in dew. Every time I moved, the branch I sat on would shake, and droplets of water would fall to the ground below us. My feet, swinging underneath the branch, were drenched. But I was happy. The morning felt fresh and awake, I felt alive. Well, as alive as a dead person can be.

I watched with amusement as a large burly man was shot down by a young girl with a green beanie. She held a glowing silver bow, and her dark brown hair billowed in the wind. She looked to be no older than thirteen, maybe fourteen.

Any normal person would've been shocked by the unusual things that happened at Hotel Valhalla. But when you're a dead Norse demigod living in a hotel and training for the end of the world, you learn pretty fast to just accept the strangeness.

Alex suddenly elbowed me in the ribs. Hard.

"Ow!"

"Shut up. Look." she pointed off to our left, where I saw Mallory, Halfborn, and TJ in a circle, fighting off four angry-looking women in karate robes. They each held a gleaming katana in each hand. That was three people v.s. eight blades. Our friends didn't stand a chance.

So naturally, we bet on who would die first. "My money's on TJ." Alex said. "He doesn't do well when his attention is divided."

I was surprised she knew that. I'd never really payed attention, but now that she mentioned it, I realized she was right. TJ was easily overwhelmed and performed best one-on-one.

"Well I say Mallory."

Alex snorted. "Yeah, right. Like Mallory's gonna die first." She cleared her throat. "Okay, so when TJ dies first, what do I win?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know, bragging rights?"

"Oh, Magnus." She laughed. "Rights or no rights, I'm gonna brag." Alex's eyes suddenly lit up. "You know how I've been wanting to dye your hair?"

My eyes widened. "No way am I letting you do that," I protested. But Alex was already shaking my hand with an evil smile. "Deal. If TJ dies first, I dye your hair," she said. I blinked. "Uh, and if I win the bet?"

Alex just laughed. Then she studied me closely for a second, as if trying to decide what hair color would look best on me.

                            ~~~

So, I don't suppose you saw this coming, but I lost the bet. And Alex seemed to think I was due for a drastic hair makeover. She went to Midgard and bought a huge bottle of bright pink hair dye. We had just come back from lunch in the dining hall, and I sat on Alex's couch as she squinted at the directions on the hair dye bottle. "Did you have to choose pink? You know I'll get picked on at dinner," I said, dreading the teasing I'd have to endure later that night.

Alex just giggled. "That's one of the reasons I chose it."

I rolled my eyes and grinned. I honestly wasn't too upset about losing. At least it meant I had an excuse to spend some time with Alex. That was, until she turned around holding the hair-dye applicator brush and smirking with an evil glint in her eye. 

I don't know if you've ever had your hair dyed before, but it's very wet and sticky. It felt like my scalp was being plastered with slime. Alex was giggling and smiling the whole time, and I was desperate to see what a monstrosity she'd turned me into. 

I was kneeling on the ground, my hair above Alex's sink. I was so painfully close to the mirror, but I just couldn't see what she was doing. I knew my hair would be pink, obviously, but... I don't know, I was just curious. And nervous. Whenever I leaned or stretched to try to see her progress, Alex would turn my head back, saying, "Patience, bubblegum."

I had a feeling that nickname would stick longer than the hair color. 

When Alex had finished the last round and the hair dye had set, Alex left the bathroom and I stepped into the shower, rinsing out the excess dye. When I finished and my hair dried, I finally saw myself in the mirror. I... didn't hate it, to be honest. I tousled it a little and looked at my reflection again. The color was growing on me by the second.

I wondered what Alex would think. I mentally prepared myself for some intense teasing. I left the bathroom and found Alex sitting on the couch. When he saw me, (I immediately noticed his gender had changed while I was gone.) He giggled and his eyes lit up.

"Oh my gods, Magnus. You... look...ADORABLE."

I blushed the same shade of my hair.

"I MEAN... UM, STUPID. YOU LOOK RIDICULOUS." Alex's face was burning. I smirked and took his hand. 

My cheeks faded back to their normal color. "Don't be embarrassed, Alex. It's almost impossible not to comment on it, I'm so attractive. You just couldn't help it, and I don't blame you." I flipped my gorgeous hair to prove my point.

Alex's face was even redder now. He buried his face in my shoulder. 

"Can we please go to dinner now?" His voice was muffled. 

I raised an eyebrow. "Excited to see me get picked on?"

He nodded with a snicker.

"Okay then, can't argue with that. Let's go."

A/N: AAAAHHH THAT TOOK ME WAY TOO LONG TO WRITE OH MY GODS IM SO SORRY EVERYONE I'VE BEEN PAINFULLY BUSY WITH SCHOOL AND EVERYTHING AND WATTPAD JUST WASN'T MY FIRST PRIORITY but anyway I promise to be better about updating in the future and I actually have an AU coming up next, so I hope you guys will like that!