Apartment AU

Alex's POV. Alex is male in this chapter.

"Just a few more seconds," Blitzen begged sadly. "I'm not gonna see you for so LOOONG! MY BABIES ARE LEAVING!!" 

Magnus could barely breathe in Blitz's death-grip goodbye hug. I didn't get why everyone was so sad, they were gonna visit us in just a few weeks anyway. Now that Magnus and I were moving into our own apartment and essentially starting our life together, I was ready for it to be OUR life. I loved our friends, but not like I loved Magnus. 

Also, I was freezing.

We were standing outside our college dorm building where we'd all lived together for the past few years. I had a lot of memories here, but unlike SOME people, I didn't have trouble letting go.

"Blitz, I need oxygen," Magnus gasped. Blitz loosened his grip, but refused to let go. Everyone else's goodbye's had been short and sweet. Blitz had slight attachment issues, I guess. 

"Don't break anything, don't set anything on fire, and no more knife throwing," Sam had warned. I grinned.

"My house, my rules."

TJ was almost as sentimental as Blitz, but he hadn't shown it. He had just held back his tears and given us each a short, tight hug.

Mallory and Halfborn had each simply grunted, both groggy and barely awake. They were not morning people. Mallory gripped a paper coffee cup like it was her prized possession, (and it probably was) and Halfborn wasn't fully dressed. This was normal though, so nobody said anything.

When everyone had shed all their tears and Hearth finally managed to detach Blitz from Magnus, everyone went back inside. We loaded our last suitcase into the trunk. I looked at my boyfriend.

"Can I drive?"

Magnus drew in a breath and shivered.

"I would normally say no, but I'm so tired, I don't care if I die today."

I got into the drivers seat, and Magnus climbed into the passenger's. He grabbed a soft blanket from the backseat and wrapped it around himself. I turned on the heater. We had about three hours of driving ahead of us. 

For a while we didn't say much. We were both pretty tired, given the fact that we'd gotten up at 5:00 am to finish packing. Magnus pulled his knees up to his chest and curled over on his side. I thought he'd fallen asleep when ten minutes later he mumbled, "I'm so excited." 

I smiled. 

"Me too, Maggie."

Then he really did fall asleep. He was facing away from the window, meaning I could see his face. He looked so peaceful and adorable. Sometimes I can't believe he's real. 

Somewhere along the way we stopped and got breakfast. I don't remember what the restaurant was called, but I do remember Magnus drawing a smiley face on his pancakes in syrup. How did someone so precious come into existence? 

When we finished eating and got back into the car, Magnus took the wheel to let me sleep. I protested, but he took the keys and held them out of reach. Goddamn tall people. I did need to rest though, so I didn't mind too much.

 When I woke up, I recognized the street we were driving down. We were almost there. Our new apartment was part of a small, one story complex with just two other apartments, labeled A, B, and C. Magnus got out of the car and went to unlock apartment A. 

It may have been small, but it was affordable. We wouldn't be living here forever. And anywhere felt like home with Magnus. Gross, that was so cheesy. WHAT HAVE I BECOME?

I stumbled out of the car, still not completely awake. It was close to 10:00 am now, and I didn't think I'd make it to noon without falling asleep again. Magnus had already started unpacking boxes and suitcases and taking them inside. I rolled up the blanket I'd been using and went to help him. After about half an hour, everything was out of the car and in our new living room. 

The apartment included a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and two linen closets. We'd visited a few times before  we bought it, so I already had a mental image of how it would look filled up with our furniture and belongings. 

I went over to our stack of boxes and found a soft, circular rug. I unrolled it out onto the floor of the living room and laid down on it, soaking up the warmth of the sun shining through the window.

"Alex," Magnus warned, "We have to actually get things unpacked today. No more sleeping."

Ten minutes later he was snoring next to me and holding onto my arm like it was a teddy bear. Pretty soon I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I laid my head on Magnus's chest and we slept there until dinner time. 

When Magnus nudged me awake, I saw that he'd been busy. Apparently he'd made dinner, put our little blue couch together, and gone to the grocery store. All while I'd been sleeping. I thanked him for doing so much. Then I yelled at him for not waking me up so I could help him. 

After we ate the microwave pizza magnus had heated up, (I know, we're so sophisticated) we returned to the task of unloading everything. I made our bed while Magnus hung up curtains. We spent the rest of the night putting things together, hanging up photos and pride flags, and putting our little keepsakes on shelves. 

When we were finally done, we collapsed on our bed and surveyed our work. Our bedroom was small but cozy, with one big window above the bed. To the left of the window hung my genderfluid pride flag, and to the right hung Magnus's pansexual one. Some potted plants sat on the dresser, probably doomed to die in the next week. A small TV was mounted on the wall, and Magnus turned it on, flipping through channels. 

"Wanna watch... uhhh... golf?" 

"Not particularly."

He sighed and turned the TV off. 

"What do we do now?" 

"I don't know. What do people normally do on their first night in their own house?"

"How am I supposed to know?

We never did figure out anything to do. We fell asleep before realizing we'd only unpacked half of our boxes. 

Are you guys happy with the ending? I wasn't sure if it was good enough, and I felt like I should probably have made this longer, but I didn't know what to add. Tell me what you think.