part 23 - a new fresh wave

Mason POV

I hear someone talking but I have no idea what they're saying. I'm just staring at the small girl on the bed.
"Mason!" Beau whisper-yells snapping me out of my teary gaze. My eyes lock on his and he sighs, outstretching his arms in my direction. I lean into them as soon as he sits on the bed.
"I just, I feel like I need to put in way more effort than you do," I start and move my head from his shoulder to his lap, "she's not mine biologically and if I disappear, do you think she'd notice?"
"Of course she would Mason, do you see the look she gives you when you leave in the morning?"
I sigh looking up at him and his gorgeous curly hair.
"Yeah," I pause for a second taking a shaky inhale, "this is just a wave of realism for me. I feel like, its setting in again. Bella's condition."
"I know baby but we gotta remember that we'll get through this together. If we don't have it together then Bella won't, she can't help herself. It's not only about being there for each other, but Bella too. We're all in this together."
I nod at him, and lean up to peck his lips.
"I love you,"
"Love you too baby."

-

We fell asleep with bloodshot eyes and the next morning was proving its-self to be quite tense. Bella slept longer than usual and woke up at 11 a.m. instead of between 8:45 and 10. She'd been very quiet and wouldn't focus on anything, she dropped things alot and cried. She seemed so not herself. I had finally managed to feed her the last spoonful of her oatmeal when Beau called from the front door.
"You guys ready to roll out?"
"Almost, just need to get her coat on." I yelled back, taking her out of the chair in the kitchen and bringing her to Beau so he could put her coat and beanie on, and I could force my boots on. Once that was all done, we went down the elevator and I handed Bella over to Beau.
"Say bye to papabear, bub!"
I smiled at Bella's pigtails whipping around as she tiredly looked up at me and waved. I noticed a glossy look in her eye which broke my heart, she's still not as lively as she usually is.
"Buh," She lisped out softly before placing her head back on Beau's shoulders and closing her eyes again. I turned my attention back towards Beau.
"Please call me and update me about any and everything. Let me know if you need me."
"Okay," He gave his best reassuring smile. I admire him for keeping his head on straight even though both of us are so close to bursting into tears. With one last hug, we're both on our separate ways.

-

I give the best glare I possibly could to every worker while the officer questioned them one by one. None of them would admit to who it was that let Bella pass out like that, and what exactly happened. It was quite frustrating until a fairly short girl with a scarf and messy bun came through the front door. 

"Ah, Laila, heyyy girl.." One of the workers being questioned look towards her co-worker. They both immediately look even more nervous and I can help but glare between them and the cop, who's sharing the same look I am.

"Ladies, can I have the two of you escorted down to the station? All workers will be formally questioned there." He asks, already knowing that they weren't just being detained. They were guilty of something, and they knew it.