part 8 - a punch to the face

mason's pov

"look what they did to my baby" 

my eyes tear up too, as i stare at the little girl oblivious to everything going on as she continues to play with her two ponies. i just wrap my arms around Beau after he runs into them and starts crying. we sit on the floor and i rock him softly, sushing him here and there, until i try to ask questions.

"who do you think did this?"

"sarah, her mom."  he says lowly, "i swear if i ever get my hands on her its so fucking over for her." 

he sits up and rubs his eyes. "the only reason i didnt notice it was because i've changed her in the dark and usually look away when i change her, cause y'know... female parts and im getting used to the whole daddy thing." something happens in me when he says daddy, but now is not the time so i shove the feeling deep down. deep, deep down. 

"its not your fault. do you know anybody who could've known about this?" his face flashes in realization.

"Sarah's cousin. She contacted me after hearing about the court case and was in support of me." He says, standing up and grabbing his phone from the counter before plopping back down beside me. He sends a message to somebody under the contact name 'Jess'. Just as he's about to set the phone down, it dings. Once, then twice, eventually stopping at eight times. He unlocks it again and starts playing the first of eight videos. We both watch with curious eyes. It seems to be taken from a door crack.

Who I'm assuming to be Sarah, is holding bella by the arm and screaming at her. Bella's crying of course and it just seems to be a moment of discipline. Until, Sarah sets down the brush in her hand and shoves the little girl, sending her flying and hitting the wall. The person videoing opens the door and starts yelling at Sarah and the video shuts off. Beau doesn't look at the other ones and shuts his phone off starting to sob again. 

-

A now clean Bella is asleep with Beau. I told him I'd look at the other videos until he himself was ready too. He was okay with it, someone needed to know what happened. After opening the messages back up, I see a new text from Jess.

"2nd video is the last beating. 2 days before the court case." I just sigh and press play.

The 7 other videos are along the same lines. Bella being a typical toddler, irritates Sarah, Sarah punishes Bella in some extreme way. Its odd how upset I am over this. I mean yes, any sane person would be upset after watching a child get beat but I mean this has me in fight or flight and boy am I ready to fight. This explains why Bella is seemingly perfect, and very quiet and kept to herself. She's just scared. "ada" is, from what i know, the only thing she can say and based on what Beau's told me shes nearing her mid-terrible twos. She was supposed to start talking months ago. My blood, at this point, even seems hot. Passed boiling. It's all making sense, now. Why she prefers to be held instead of walking, how she seems abnormally scared when Beau or I reprimand her or tell her no, and hasn't looked around for anybody accept Beau. He's the person she's been with the most lately and hasn't hurt her.

-

1:45 pm has rolled around Beau, Bella and I have parted ways for the day. I was sad to see them go in their cute matching boots and hats. I'm oddly attached to the adorable duo, and im not even gonna deny my attraction to beau.