Chapter 16

Berlin;

The Four couldn't sleep that night. They had seen Nakul fighting with the MOSSAD agents in front of them, his infidelity gleaming.

"He didn't kill them though," said Pranav and everybody sat upright to have an open mic. "The first agent was killed by his partner and as for the second, Nakul merely shot him in the arm."

"Yeah, maybe. But we have to focus on the fact that he has killed an Indian. In a foreign city. Ravi Biswas was more than just ordinary. His company, Morgen Stern was handling the maintenance of the nuclear weapons of India very appropriately. With him gone, Morgen Stern will lose the contract with the Indian government," said Aditi.

"First Avinash and now, Biswas. What exactly does Nakul or whoever he is working for want?"

"We need to find a relation between them. Zoya, pull out everything you can on these two" Aditi ordered. They now had pressing matters to attend to.

"On it."

After three more hours, they were staring at a whiteboard with a complex mind map made on it. Turns out Avinash and Ravi were childhood friends. But they had no contact whatsoever with each other in the past 33 years. It was the sole connection they had. The team tried to concoct more.

"What else can you get Zoya?" asked Aditi.

"Maybe they were together in martial arts classes" suggested Victor.

"What?" asked Zoya. Confusion plastered on her face for Victor's peculiar response. Victor merely put his arms up, pretending to give up.

"Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way," said Pranav.

"You guys were put on this case because you are the best we have got goddamit. " Bipin's voice came from through the speakerphone.

"Okay, let's just say Nakul is on his own," muttered Aditi.

"Eh, don't be naïve, Aditi," said Bipin "Who would risk his life for nothing in return just to kill some Indians on foreign soils?"

"Maybe an independent contractor?" asked Victor.

"That explains why he didn't have support at today's gathering," said Pranav.

"Also, who the hell was that girl with him?" said Victor, "I thought we were buddies" he continued with a pinch of sadness in his voice.

"I'll work on it too" answered Zoya and all of them submerged behind electronic devices, trying to gather as much Intel on whatever Nakul was planning to do.

Delhi;

Bipin sat across a board of directors, touching his glasses he slowly took the lid off the water glass and raise it to his lips. Guilt markers on him were obvious and there was no need for a behaviourist to tell that.

"Nakul came as hard as it comes, Sir."

"We know that Bipin. Had you told us about this scenario before all of this began, your funds would have been safe and secure with you plus we could have sent a team to take out Nakul."

"I'm sorry, Sir, but all this must remain a secret."

"I cannot assure you of this one Mr Bipin. You have crossed all your limits on this one. Denying enquiry officers of the information, then after a few months, calling all of us to tell us some brat named Nakul has gone rogue. Does it even matter?"

"Nakul is our best Sir," replied Bipin.

"And whom has he joined? ISIS?"

"I believe he has joined Bakhtiyar, Sir."

"Oh, the imaginary person you believe exists who was behind the ISRO attack?"

"Yes, Sir."

"You are as nuts as it comes, Bipin."

"Sir, I received occasional messages from Bakhtiyar, Sir. And so did Nakul, telling us to brace ourselves. A big one is coming."

"Oh, so this imaginary person has manipulated Nakul to work for him and now, Nakul doesn't work or us? He is playing you, Bipin. You told him your cuckoo story, and he gave you a cuckoo in return."

"A year ago, Sir. My best team had taken out 2 of Bakhtiyar's men. Still, after a year he is going strong. Nakul was posted in Dubai for getting information on Bakhtiyar."

"We ran background checks on the people who were taken down by your team. They were involved in terrorist activities all right but Shoaib was their leader. There was no one above him!" The discussion had taken a furious turn, the officers unwilling to put their faith in Bipin's words.

"Sir, I'm coming clean because my agents are using their savings for this mission. We need funds and a little bit of help from you to track Bakhtiyar's progress and hunt down Nakul, Sir."

"Forget about the funds you use on your imaginary nemesis, but I'll check with the defence minister and send a team on hunting this little brat down."

"My team is already on it, Sir." The officer's eyes widened and he chuckled.

"You mean Nakul's ex-team? Why the hell would you put ex-members of one team against one another?"

"They're the best we've got, Sir."

"Fine. I'll send out a team and your guys can report to mine. But, after this time, you and your little bandwagon of blizzard are done. No more inside missions."

Bipin's disappointment was clear. He chose not to speak anything as he needed the funds desperately if India was to avoid an attack. Bipin went home to cut parchments of paper and photos hanging on every wall. He started thinking and throwing around theories from the start. From where it all began. The ISRO attack.