Chapter 15

Nina's p.o.v

I clamped my hand over my nose as we descended the staircase that led to the prison cells. Despite the large metal door at the end of the corridor, the horrid smell still managed to seep through. I coughed slightly as we neared the door, Jace signalled the guard on duty to unlock it to let us through.
Another staircase, this time a spiral one, delved down into a pit of darkness. The foul smell was worse down here. All that could be heard was the clanking of metal and the moans and coughs of the echoey voices from below.
And it was no wonder there was such a rank odour in the air. Lining the staircase walls were small prison cells each containing a werewolf. Some had shifted, others seemed to have no strength left to do anything but slump against the walls and rest. They were underfed with rattling bones, their skin hanging from their almost lifeless corpses.
Some of then were actually dead, arms hanging out of the bars, eyes still wide open, searching for the freedom that they would never claim except in death.
"How many are down here?" I whispered to Jace, not trusting my own voice to speak.
"The cells hold about 250, there are probably about 120 still alive."

"120" I repeated slowly.
Jace simply nodded in reponse.
"And how often are they fed exactly?" I asked this time, dreading the answer.

"They are given water every 4 days and bread and butter every 8 days" Jace answered looking guilty and ashamed. So he should. This was no way to treat people.
"And Elijah, whenever he's angry, he just picks one of them to beat up? Then he leaves?" I asked trying I keep my anger under control.
I didn't need an answer. The guilty look in Jace's eyes said it all.
I spent a few more moments slowly making my way past more cells, inspecting the prisoners.
"Who are they all?"
"Mostly trespassers, the majority of them are rogues who were passing through our land"
"So they have committed no real crime?" I murmured, grinding my teeth.
"Not technically no" was the reply.
I was furious. There were people of all types down here, all ages, all genders.
I clenched my hands into fists, not wanting to take my anger out on Jace.

"I want them all released. Immediately" I declared.

The company behind me made no movement.
"Perhaps you all misunderstood. I said, I want them all released right NOW!" I yelled, my roar echoing around the large hollowed chamber.
"We can't." One of the prison guards whispered. "Alpha Elijah will punish us if we do"
I was about to unleash my anger on him for disobeying my orders when I felt a soft hand on my arm.
"He's right. It'll only make Elijah angrier" Jace said sorrowfully.
Annoyingly, they were both right. But I couldn't leave all these people down here weakened and starving.
"Okay but I want a doctor down here to see and treat every single prisoner. I want food and water to be given to every single one, and not just today. They will receive the appropriate treatment everyday from now on until I think of a better plan. And I want every corpse removed and they are to be given a proper grave. Everybody understand?!" I yelled. I received a nod in return before they scampered back up the stairs to deal with my request.
"Oh and somebody get some ventilation down here! I don't care I you have to knock a damn hole in the wall. Just get it done!" I shouted up after them.
The echoes of 'yes alpha' drifted back down to me.

As the doctor, Mr Jupe, a lovely 55 year old man, saw to the prisoners, I helped him. I, along with Thea, Seth, Jace and Emma, helped wash and feed the other inmates. They were dirty and weak but with our help along with some new and fresh bedding, they were able to rest well.
"Damn I thought I was the worst off in this area. These injuries are worse then mine were" I heard Emma mutter under her breath while cleaning a wound on a woman's leg.
Jace growled under his breath at the reminder of Emma's past and left his own patient to join and help her instead. After helping the woman into bed and leaving the cell, Jace gathered Emma into his arms, pressing his face into her neck.
I stood there, watching the embrace. he really cared for her so much. I liked Jace. He was soft and gentle. How come the Moon Goddess decided that I should have the psycho, brutal murder as a mate?
Speaking of Elijah, he still hadn't been seen. On the one hand, I didn't want him to come back. The pack would be better off without him. On the other hand I wanted him back. Not so that I could run and jump into his arms like I usually felt like doing when I saw him, no this time I was going to hurt him. He was going to know what it felt like to be one of his prisoners. He couldn't harm people like this and get away with it. He was going to pay.

---

Ooooo another update!
(Still not edited though 😁)