Chapter 13

'GIve me one good reason why I should never make a change. Baby if you hold me then all of this will go away' - George Ezra: Budapest

Elijah's P.O.V

I woke up with Nina's arms wrapped around me and my face buried in her neck. If I said I wasn't perfectly happy I would be lying. Despite loving being so close to her, I forced myself to get up out of bed being careful not to wake her. I had decided to admit to myself that I did need her. I needed a mate and I couldn't live without her. All I wanted was to have her next to me at all times, to have her skin on mine, to know that she was safe. But whether she was going to accept me as her mate? That's anybody's guess. She may be beautiful and perfect but damn is she stubborn.

I got myself dressed and headed into my study groaning at how much work I had to do. I started with the usual: bills, patrols and pack complaints. It was all normal until an unfamiliar envelope dropped out from between some sheets of paper. I frowned as I picked it up suprised to find that it was quite heavy. When I turned it over my confusion increased when I found the front to be blank. Now fully curious I opened the envelope and tipped the contents out onto the table. I felt my mouth go dry, my fists clenched and my wolf stirred inside me. My heart was torn in fear and panic and my heart rattled in my chest. It couldn't be true. This changed everything. And Nina! She was in the gravest danger. I would have to distance myself and protect her at the same time. My wolf was whining at this prospect but being close to her would only put her at a greater risk. Angry tears welled up in my eyes and confusion taunted me. I looked at the note which had came with the envelope and crushed it in my fist.

'I'm watching'

---

Nina's P.O.V

I woke up cold and alone. I felt a icy shiver momentarily run down my spine. That was weird. Werewolves never get cold. I wrapped the blanket tighter around myself , the empty space beside me taunting my mind. I brushed off the pang of pain in my chest that let me know my mate was not within my reach and instead headed downstairs for breakfast.

Seth and Jace were perched on seats at the counter in the middle of the kitchen while all of the kitchen staff cautiously moved around the various countertops. They were all acting in a very shifty manner, moving so to not bring attention to themseves, even Carrie was unusually quiet, sticking close to her mothers side. Jace and Seth were both tense and rigid, their eyes following the movements of Elijah who was violently attempting to make himself poached eggs on toast. He fumbled with the small poaching bag, slamming his fist on the countertop causing bits of marble to shatter at his feet.

"Here" I said gently softly pulling the bag apart.

"Fuck off" he growled at me, his eyes dark and his mouth pressed together in a tight line.

"Come on I was only trying to help. No need to get your knickers in a twist" I said in a light tone rolling my eyes. I was suddenly pushed against the counter his hands roughly gripping my arms.

"I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP" he roared at me, his face inches from mine. I stared at him in shock. Clearly his bad mood was worse than I had originally thought.

"Stop trying to get in my business, just stay away from me" he said firmly before storming out of the kitchen. He pushed rudely past Emma and Thea who were both entering the kitchen. Emma was knocked into the doorframe and Thea was thrust to the floor causing both Seth and Jace to rise in protest. They both hurried to console their mates, staring angrily through the door Elijah had just left. The kitchen seemed frozen for a minute, no one daring to pierce the silence.

I suddenly felt two small arms wrap around my legs and looked down to see a red and wild head of hair. I bent down to hug Carrie back before picking her up and resting her on my hip.