She'd call back.

"Aliya reminds me," she cleared her throat, "I spoke to her about Aryamman."

"Hmm?" I ask her to go on as I lift the covers of all food trays to reveal my favourite dishes. I could swear my eyes shone brighter than the dim lights when I smelled the food.

"I don't think she's dating anyone else," she said, sadness written all over the place, "I don't even think she's moved on. You could almost see the hurt in her eyes when she spoke about him. He almost ghosted her, you know?"

"Hmm," I nod, "Cabir told me when you girls were shopping. I've mailed Jeff his details already, and she'd have already contacted him. I'm hope to hear back till tomorrow."

She nods, smiling, "I don't believe Aryamman is modelling. Did you even look at the pictures in his profile? Damn, he looked so good."

I coughed a little, "Bad manners, my love. Sitting on the table across one guy and talking about other?"

She rolled her eyes at me, "Manik please! You're telling me you didn't feel anything when you saw Aryamman's pictures?"

"I did," I agree. I felt a lot of things, "But mostly pride."

She smiles victoriously. "I made all this food alone! I've tried making it as much Indian as I can, because I really miss home, so I hope you like it." She says, nervously.

"I'm sure I will," I smile in reassurance, "It smells yummy. And, I'm really, really hungry."

"Manik?" She rolls her eyes, "You're always hungry."

"Touché," I laugh when there's a huge noise.

It takes me a moment to realise it's the cuckoo on the wall clock.

I stare at the girl in front of me in disbelief, "Could you have made this anymore creepier? All darkness and this sound. Seriously?"

She glares at me pointedly, "I love my wall clock. Don't you dare..."

"It's creepy," I retaliate, smiling.

"Manik?" She calls.

"Hmm," I answer expectantly. She had all my attention anyways.

"Happy Birthday!" She whispers.

"What?" I asked, surprised. Oh, the cuckoo made the sound 'cause the clock had struck twelve. I almost forgot it was my birthday.

She smiles as she gets up from her chair. I sigh, getting up as well as she puts her hand across my neck and hugs me. I hold her waist close and she relaxes in my arms, placing her head on my shoulder and I close my eyes, holding her as close as I could.

"Happy, happy birthday, Manik," she murmurs. I kiss the top of her head as she goes on, "I wish you all the love, and luck, and happiness of this world. This is the first birthday that I am with you, but I hope I can be for a lot of others. I love you more than anyone else in this world, literally now."

I pull her closer, as if that was even possible, "Thank you, love. I'm so happy you're here with me."

She breaks away from me, still on her toes to reach my height as she holds my face in her arms and kisses me on the cheek.