Chapter 32: Touch

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I am," she responds, a sort of blankness in her tone as her wild green eyes flicker back to the ceiling. "I thought I was dreaming."

"No, you're not, you...you're home," Leonardo says, kneeling down next to the bed and resting his hand on the lump where her leg is. "You're here with us again. Shredder can't—"

Destiny flinches noticeably, hiding her face against the edge of the blanket as a weak whimper leaves her and her wolf ears flatten against her hair. Leonardo halts without another word, his hand tightening slightly on her leg.

"I...I'm sorry," he repeats.

"N-No, I...I just..." Destiny peeks back out from the blanket, a shudder making her shoulders shift. "I'm...fine. I overreacted." He stays silent, making her look at him. "Sh...Shredder can't find me?" she clarifies.

"Never," he assures.

She exhales, slumping back into the pillows. "Thank God."

He gives a few short nods of agreement, slowly pushing himself to his feet. She looks up at him, the ceiling light in the bedroom hovering behind his head and blurring out some of his features.

"Do you need anything?" he asks.

"Answers," she says, making him purse his lips and settle down on a stool that Destiny knows wasn't in her room before. She doesn't take her eyes off him. "Is everyone else okay?"

"April got a nasty smack to the head, but that's all," he says.

"Mr. Murakami?"

"He's fine too. Said he woke up in his kitchen with an ice pack on his head. He kept your stuff safe," he nearly recites, saying every word carefully and gauging her reaction as he finishes each sentence.

"And no one else got hurt?"

"Nobody."

Another long breath escapes her. "Was I out long?"

"A couple days or so."

She ponders that. "Oh...so that's why I feel so hungry."

He laughs, making her lips twitch upwards into a tiny smile. The sound drops off swiftly, the two of them falling into calm silence.

"I'll...leave you to get dressed. The others will want to see you," Leonardo says as he clears his throat, standing back up. "Just check that bag over there, okay?"

"Okay," Destiny responds. She looks down at her lap, her eyelids fluttering shut for a moment. "I...I just want to be alone for a little while though. I need to get a hold of my thoughts."

"Right, of course," he says. He walks towards the door, reaches his hand out to the knob, then halts. He turns back to her. "I'm glad you're awake, Des. I was worried."

She gives a tiny smile as her only response and he turns again. His hand tightens around the doorknob, but he falters. Destiny sits up in the bed, still holding the blanket to her chest as she gives him a questioning look. Her wolf ears twitch.

"Leo?" she asks.

He mutters something under his breath, spins around, and takes the few confident strides needed to cross the room to her bed. He cups her face in his hands, leans down, and presses his lips to hers in such a way that her nose is mildly squished against the beak of his. She freezes and melts at the same time, her eyes fluttering shut.