Chapter Five

From the moment I woke up this morning, Elijah started annoying me. He woke me up from my wonderful dream with his damn kisses. "Elijah."

He looked away from the TV and looked at me. "What?"

"What are we doing today?"

He got up from on my lap and turns to me. "I thought we can go for a drive."

"That sounds like a splendid idea, but where are we going to go."

He laughs and says, "Nowhere and everywhere."

"Um okay I guess." We got up from the couch and he took my hand as he led me to the garage. He opened the door to the Audi R8, and I looked at him. "Can I drive?"

He looked at me like I was crazy. "No."

"Please. I've never begged for anything in my life." He sighs before he walks over to the driver's door and opened it. Then he threw the keys at me and I smiled as I walked over to him. "Thank you." I got into the car and he closed the door before he went over to the passenger's side.

When he got into the car, and the garage door opened, I drove out of it. The guards opened the gate for us and I drove into the street. It took us half an hour to get from the neighborhood to the highway. We drove around for half an hour with no problems. Then I saw a car following us in the rear-view mirror.

"Elijah."

He didn't even look at me. "I know." He pulled out his phone from his pocket, and he dialed a number. He talked to whoever answered the phone, and I tried my best not to freak out as the car got closer to us. I drove around other cars just to keep the person away, but it wasn't working out well. "Melody, I will need you to drive faster."

I looked down at the dashboard before I looked at the road again. "I'm already going 80 miles an hour."

He looks at me and says, "The car that's following us isn't any of my men." I looked in the rear-view mirror and I saw them in the back of us now. "Melody." I pressed down on the gas as I drove around the cars and I went to the fast lane. "They're gaining up on us."

I pressed down harder on the peddle and I saw the needle on the dashboard went all the way to 100. I kept my eyes on the road as I drove around the cars and past the trucks. I tried not to look in the rear-view mirror and I tried to keep my mind clear. I knew that now wasn't the time to freak out. Elijah kept looking behind us and I knew that we didn't lose them yet. "In half a mile from here you'll see a ramp. Get on it and make a right by the light."

When I saw the ramp, I drove onto it and I saw the green light. As soon as we got to it, the light turned yellow, and I pressed down more on the gas. I looked into the rear-view mirror and I saw the car get stuck at the light. "Make a left at the end of this road and pull into the garage." I followed his instructions, and once I parked the car, I turned it off.

I put my head back against the seat, and I closed my eyes. My heart's racing, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I unbuckled my seat belt, and I got out of the car. When I closed the door, I sat down on the floor, and I closed my eyes. I didn't realize that Elijah followed me until he bent down in front of me. "Melody, are you okay?"

"What kind of stupid question is that?"

He sighs and says, "It was a rhetorical question." I looked at him and he bent down in front of me. "I know that you are freaking out inside and I am here for you if you need me." I didn't know what to say to that, so I just looked at him. "Why don't we get back into the car?"

I nod at him and he helped me up from the floor before he opened the passenger door for me. I got into it and I looked at him when he got in the car. "They were trying to run us off the road."

He looked at me. "Yes, they were." I couldn't stop the tears from falling and I didn't know how much more of this I could handle. His phone started ringing, and he looked at me before he put it on speaker. "Fernando if you think sending your men to run us off the road would have worked then your stupider than I thought you were."

The Fernando guy laughs and says, "Elijah one way or another I will get the girl."

Elijah grinds his teeth as he looked at me. "You have to go through me and my men first." He hung up the phone before the guy could say anything, and he started the car. We didn't talk on our way back to the house and I really had nothing to say. When we walked through the door, I took off my shoes and I started going up to the guest room. Before I could open the door, he stopped me, and I looked at him.

His face was too close to mine and I could smell his cologne I had gotten so used to smelling. "Are you staying in here again?"

He looks at my lips before he looked into my eyes. "We are switching rooms."

"Why?"

I watched as he licked his lips. "Because my room has a bigger bed, and I already had the maids put your things in there." He walked over to his door, and I followed him. He let me into the room first before he walked in and closed the door. I started yawning, so I went to take a quick shower before I laid down. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell asleep.

I woke up two hours later, to the smell of food. When I looked over at the door, I saw Elijah walking in with a tray in his hand. "I brought our dinner up here. I didn't think you would want to eat with everyone else after what happened today."

"Thank you, but I don't really have an appetite."

I heard him sigh, and I looked at him. "I know, but you need to eat something."

"Fine." He put a plate on my lap and I started eating the food. I didn't realize that I was hungry until I ate out all of it. I drank the water that he gave me, and he laughed at me. "Shut up." I laid down after I drank the water, but I couldn't go back to sleep. I looked at Elijah as he kept turning back and forth next to me.

He dropped on his back and looked at the ceiling. "I can't sleep."

"Neither can I."

He says, "What's bothering you?"

"I should ask you that question."

I watched as he turned to me. "Every time I close my eyes I see all the horrible things I've done. But when I open them, I always see you right next to me."

"What are you trying to say?"

He laughs, and I felt his hand touch mine. "You have become my savior. I can't sleep unless your next to me." I moved closer to him and I felt him wrap his arms around my waist. He put his face in my neck, and I heard him sigh.

"What are you doing?"

He laughs, and I felt his lips move against my skin. "Going to sleep. What are you doing?"

"Trying to get some sleep."

He smiles, and I felt it against my skin. "You're so beautiful."

"Whatever just go to sleep." I closed my eyes, but I could still feel his breath against my neck. "Can you close your mouth?"

He laughs. "No, get used to it."

"Fine."

He turned off the light. "Goodnight Melody."

"Goodnight Elijah."

I closed my eyes, and I heard him say, "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

He looked at me as he moved his head from my neck. "Have you ever fallen in love?"

"No. Have you?"

He put his head back in my neck. "Yes. I have."

"With whom?"

He didn't answer the question, and I would not push him for an answer. I closed my eyes and as I fell into a deep sleep I heard him whisper, "You." I didn't know if I heard him right, so I didn't say anything. I heard his breathing even out, so I knew that he fell asleep.