Chapter One

I never thought I would have to run for my life at twenty-four years old. I watched a man kill my father right in front of my eyes. Now that man man is after me. My eyes are adjusting to the light and I don't know where I am. My body feels weak and I'm tied to a chair with two guys I never met looking at me. "Who are you? What do you want?"

The guy on the right in the black shorts and blue shirt says, "The boss is on his way. He'll explain everything to you."

I looked at him and before I can say anything; we heard the door slam against the wall. All I could see from over here is the figure of a man looking at us. When he walked closer, I saw that he isn't that much older than me. His facial features are like the other two men. His hair is a lot shorter, and he has a tattoo on the side of his neck.

The two guys moved aside for him to stand in front of me. "William, Ben, I told you to tell me when she's awake."

"Who are you?"

"My name is Elijah Luciano," he says with a straight face. I quivered at the sound of his name. It rang like a doorbell in my head. Elijah Luciano, my father's last word. Fear ran up my spine, my knees felt weak. If I was standing, I would have lost my balance.

"You're the leader of one of the most powerful mafia groups."

He laughs and says, "Yes, I am. But you shouldn't know that."

"My father told me to look for you right before he died." I took a shaky breath as I looked at him. "Why am I here?"

He sighs as he looks at me. "You're here because I will protect you."

"Why?"

He looks down at me. "Your father asked me too." Before I can say anything, he put his hand up. "I wasn't there. He asked me to protect you, before he turned himself in. He knew that he would die that night, so he planned everything ahead of time."

"What day is it?"

"Friday," he says.

"How did I get here?"

I watched as they looked at Ben. "We drugged you."

William cuts in and says, "I think he used too much, because you didn't wake until today."

"So, you drugged me, tied me to a chair and I bet you expect me to trust you too."

I watched as Elijah started laughing. "You don't have to trust us. But I will protect you even if you don't want me to."

"I didn't say that I don't want you to."

I heard someone laughing, but I didn't look away from his eyes. William says, "Elijah, you just met your match."

He looked away. "Shut up, William."

"Are you going to leave me tied to this chair?"

Elijah looked at me and he says, "Are you going to trust us?"

"Trust has to build, it's not given, and I don't know."

I saw William and Ben bite their lips to stop themselves from laughing. Elijah smiled at me. "You're smarter than you look."

"I get that a lot. So, are you going to untie me?" I looked him in his eyes and I couldn't see any emotions at all.

He sighs and says, "William untie her."

William bent down in front of me, and he started loosening the rope. "I like you and it will be a lot more interesting around here."

"Thank you."