Chapter 13 | No Number

Blake

It was adorable watching Nicole struggle with her wrinkled dollar bill. When it got spit back out for the fifth time, she let out a frustrated groan and stuffed the bill back into her jean pocket. And that's exactly why her bills were wrinkled in the first place.

She saw the way I tried to hide my amused smile and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, laugh at my struggle, jerk."

I pulled my wallet out—the one I had put back in 'cause she insisted that she got her own. I wasn't gonna argue with her independence, but I knew she really wanted a snack. If she didn't, she wouldn't even be out here with me right now.

The moment she saw me insert a crisp ten dollar bill into the slot and motioned for her to insert her preferred number, she only hesitated for a second before picking the snacks she wanted. She watched her snacks fall and bent down to retrieve them.

Snacks in hand, she smiled at me, pulling in her beautiful dimples that I realized I was starting to adore. "Thank you, I'll pay you back when we go back to our dorm."

I waved her off, taking a bite of the chocolate bar I picked out. "Don't worry about it."

She narrowed her eyes at me, and I knew she thought there might be a catch. It was sad that women had to assume men wanted something in return for anything nice they did for them. And I was kind of offended she would think I was the same as the rest of them. Though, I couldn't really blame her. I was still a man. Just had to prove myself that I was different.

Sure I wanted her under me and I craved feeling her lips on me, but I wasn't gonna force her in any way. Paying for her stuff when I invited her was just what I did for anyone.

"You could stop looking at me like that."

She stuffed a handful of fruit snacks into her mouth. "Like what?"

"Like I'm going to force you to do something just 'cause I bought you cheap snacks." She followed when I started walking back to our dorm. "I wouldn't even expect anything of you if I paid for an expensive meal at that."

She hummed, pouring more snacks into her palm. "Am I supposed to be impressed?"

"You're a real asshole, you know that?" I sighed, maybe a bit too loudly. "All I'm trying to say here is that you don't have to pay me back and you don't have to be afraid of me asking for anything."

"Afraid?" The question came with a snort. "I wouldn't give you anything even if you did ask. I can handle myself just fine."

When we got to our door, it beeped three times when I scanned my key card. And as I tried again with another fail, Nicole stood to the side, trying her best to hide her giggles. Even as I kept failing, I still tried to let ourselves in over and over.

This stupid door really had something against me.

"Here, give me." Nicole snatched the key card from my fingers and swiped it herself. Of course the son of a bitch beeped once and granted her access inside.

"Is the door a feminist?" I grumbled, letting her walk in first as she handed me back my card. "Swear it never lets me in the first time."

"Good."

She dumps her snacks on her bed and stuffs the rest of her fruit snacks in her mouth to throw the wrapper away. The trash can sits on the corner of the room behind the door, and I tease her by laughing when she misses. Her wrapper gracefully floats to the ground and she looks over her shoulder to glare at me. "Oh it's funny?"