Assignment

"If you do well in this assignment, I will promote you to Executive. I'm afraid that your fate is uncertain with this, but, if there's no risk, where's the fun? I wish you luck, Takahashi. You are dismissed." Mori said to Ren with a hint of amusement on his face as she was handed the file, which simply said:

Collect information on Dazai Osamu, former Port Mafia Executive

She nodded, plans already formulating in her head as she walked out of his office. On her way back to her desk she passed by Chuuya, who was muttering impatiently to himself, completely unaware of everything going on around him.

"Ren." She looked up from her file, but had to look down at Chuuya, who was seven inches shorter than her. Her eyes seemed blank, devoid of any emotion, and a piercing gaze that almost seemed less than human. 

"Good luck. Hopefully you'll be promoted at the expense of that asshole."

"I appreciate the sentiment. Hopefully my back problems will disappear once I stop being forced to look at you." He froze.

"EXCUSE ME?" She strode off before he could say anything else.

Ren went straight to her desk and started typing on her keyboard, laying out ideas and plotting out her fake alias as she applied for a job at a cafe nearby. This would certainly be more interesting than her usual assignments, so she took longer,  taking more care in writing out the details and sending messages to Chuuya, trying to learn Dazai's quirks and habits. But that was the fun of it, transforming into someone completely unrecognisable and blending in as though she lived a mundane life. Time seemed to fly by as she brainstormed, and by the time she had laid out her whole plan, the colours of the sun had begun to bleed into the sky, leaking out into the ocean and stars were beginning to fade into sight. Ren looked exactly the same as she had in the morning, and she headed back to her apartment, walking slowly.

Staring up the ceiling, she went through her plan again in her head, over and over again until they were the only words she could remember. Well, being an Executive was probably less glamorous than it was made out to be, but she needed some... variety. She absorbed the eerie silence and checked her phone. She furrowed her brow, nodding to herself as she set her phone down, closing her eyes, and immersing herself in the next character she would be playing: Suzuki Aiko.

Chuuya

I'm starting earlier than expected
Tell Boss I'll be out tomorrow

fine.
I'll look forward to cleaning up your ashes

She plastered on a smile as she entered the cafe, and a few members of the Armed Detective Agency were there. She made a mental note of their appearances and Dazai seemed to be flirting with one of the staff.

"Would you like to commit a double suicide with me? I would only do it with a beautiful woman such as yourself." 

Chuuya was right. He is quite eccentric.

"Have you considered life insurance? Your tab with us is getting quite large." The staff member grinned, and Ren could see someone else with white hair and what seemed to be a bowl cut collapse into his seat, and another man with glasses scribbling into an upside down notebook.

"Oh hello. You must be the new waitress! I apologise for informing you on such short notice, but we're quite short staffed at the moment. If you need anything, I'll be at the counter!" Ren nodded, smiling, and the waitress handed her a notepad.

"Oh, she's pretty. Hey, do you like the term 'Lovers Suicide'? Would you like to try it?" Dazai's eyes sparkled as he placed a hand on hers. 

"But we don't even know each other, so how could you expect me to accept? I don't even know your name!" She responded cheerfully, whipping her hand away.

"Oh, please forgive me. My name is Dazai Osamu, member of the Armed Detective Agency. I wonder what beautiful name has been bestowed to a woman such as yourself."

"Dazai! Don't go revealing your details to strangers!" Atsushi whispered loudly to Dazai.

"Don't worry Atsushi-kun. This may be the only chance I get."

"Well, I'm Suzuki Aiko, if you were wondering. Now, can I get you anything?" Kunikida, the man with the book, pushed up his glasses and coughed.

"Please excuse my colleagues. They'll get water, thank you. I'll get a coffee."

Kunikida Doppo. Perfectionist in every sense of the word.

She nodded and walked to the kitchen, pouring a glass of water and starting the coffee before making her way back. 

"Kunikida-kun, you did such a good job talking to her! Teach me your ways!" She'd expected him to be more outlandish, but he was surprisingly childish.

But out of the corner of her eye she could see him keeping an eye on her from a distance.

"Here are your drinks." She smiled and set the water glasses down on the table.

"Thank you, Suzuki-san." Atushi said politely.

"Such elegant fingers." Dazai studied her hand, muttering to herself.

Since she usually wore gloves, Ren's fingers had been left relatively untouched, but she tried to turn it into an opportunity to get more information.

"The secret is to wear sunscreen, but you're well protected, aren't you?" She whispered softly into his ear.

Her voice was low and inncouous, yet alluring at the same time, which made Dazai take interest. She seemed to be playing along with what he was saying, which was quite rare, and he paid more attention to her mannerisms. Her features were quite refined, and looked mature yet still acted child like, a gentle and elegant beauty. Her jet black hair was tied up in a high ponytail and fell in large waves down her black. Her eyes were a sharp blue, which seemed to shine and take the spotlight and were quite open, but seemed dull somehow.  

"You two get along surprisingly well..." Atsushi commented hesitantly, looking puzzled as he watched their exchange.

"It's never boring when you have somebody interesting to talk to. But you all seem nice, so I'm glad that you are the first people I've served here. But the first customers are always the most memorable, you know. It doesn't apply to just waitressing either." She winked, turning on her heel to leave. 

"Aiko-chan!" She could tell exactly who said that, and turned around, "Have you always been a waitress?"

"Hm... pretty much, but I was a tutor in high school, if that counts." If you counted tutoring a student to kidnap them for ransom.

"Tutor? You are certainly an interesting woman. Now will you consider committing a double suicide with me?" He pouted, looking up at her expectantly. 

"My original answer still stands. There are many more things I want to experience before I die, but I will consider your offer." Kunikida started dragging Dazai and Atsushi out of the cafe, and Ren waved.

"Hope to see you soon!"

"See you, Aiko-chan!"

- - -

that was a weird first impression. 

Also I apologise for rushing it. I know how impatient the internet can be so I introduced Dazai very quickly.

@yolandathesnowflake has been pestering me to post this, so HERE, though I haven't actually finished writing and editing the entire thing :P

Edit: I'm going on a typo hunt.

HI IM MAYBE GONNA MAKE EDITS TO THIS TWO YEARS AFTER I WROTE IT BC my friends found it and i dont want them thinking i still write like this