Chapter 3 Worst Softball Game Ever By Eriya

That Wednesday was the most exciting day I've ever had. I quickly cut off my alarm clock right as it started its usual BEEP-BEEP at 5:30 in the morning. I was practically dressed already even though school didn't start for another couple of hours. Usually I'd struggle getting out of bed, now my only struggle was keeping my excitement contained.

After the morning routine, the bus ride to school, even the first 3 periods, I went through acting like it was going to be another boring day in high school. I was able to hold it back for as long as possible until the end of English when I met up with Ari in the hall.

"Hey," I blurted to Ari. "Rubi's game is today."

"Nah," Ari said to me sarcastically as he looked up. Ari's brown eyes stared at me like I was stupid, which I kind of felt that way with the look he gave me. He went back to tapping away at his phone. "Everybody just has major school spirit all of a sudden on a random Wednesday."

"I dunno, they could—"

"ATTENTION STUDENTS!" the intercom blared, "IF YOU ARE RIDING THE BUS TO THE SOFTBALL PLAYOFF GAME PLEASE COME TO THE MAIN FLOOR TO BOARD, THANK YOU!"

"You were saying?" Ari cupped his hand to his ear. I replied by stuffing my books in my tiny locker.

Three blondes walked by and said, "Hey Ari," in unison. He casually gave them a "Hey" back like they talked every day.

"You know them?" I asked.

"Yeah we go way back."

"You've never met them before, have you?"

"Never in my life."

I found it funny how Ari was so worried about his reputation after yesterday and yet he could come back today and the whole school just let it roll over their shoulder. If I were to have done something as crazy as that moose thing in the middle of the lunchroom, people would be calling me "Moose" until the high school reunion.

As we walked through the hall, I noticed that I'd left my wallet folded inside my gym clothes, so I told Ari to go on and save me a seat. I ran to my locker and grabbed my wallet. Once I'd gotten it, I turned to the hallway and noticed Rubi through the bustling human traffic. I could distinctly pick out her beautiful red hair flowing just past her shoulders, almost down to her elbow. After lunch the day before she gave a powerful speech so the student body would vote her FCS president for the second year in a row – even though FCS was the exclusive decision making club at our school and you had to be hand-selected to even be in the club, not considering we don't really have a say in deciding their president. During that empowering speech, Ari had to pinch me to get me to stop staring at her and unjustly called me a creep.

I snapped out of my thought and looked back at her down the hall. She adjusted her softball gear as she was talking to a teammate with jet-black hair. Rubi started to laugh and as she did her sparkling blue eyes caught mine for a split second. I quickly shut my locker and went to go meet Ari on the bus.

Now, to be frank, I don't have that much interest in softball, but I do understand the game to a certain extent. I just knew that the game we were in was really close, since there was no score up until the 5th inning and the few times the other school scored was on balls and fouls that our pitcher threw. She was a sub for Rubi who had pitched a near perfect game and was ordered to rest for the inning by her coach after a full weekend of pitching. The rest of the team, however, picked up the scoring and tied the game up at 4 a piece. When there was finally a break as the inning ended, Rubi got her stuff together to get ready to get back on the mound.