23 ◉Proposal & Conflict

Start from the beginning

Alina woke up with a sharp pain in her head. She clenched her forehead as she sat on the bed.

'Ma!' She called but there was no response. Slowly, she opened her eyes and found the bed was empty. She felt her head spinning as she removed the blanket and her legs trembled as she placed her feet on the floor. She wore her flip-flops and straightened. Then, she dragged her feet out of the room.

As she stepped out and looked around the empty living and dining room. Where was Haider? – she wondered. Just then, she was startled by the sound of oil crackling in the kitchen.

'Ma!' She called. Asmat who was busy with frying fish looked back at the door.

'Where is Haider?' Alina asked.

'I don't know, beta. I slept like a log.' Asmat informed and then massaged the side of her forehead. Alina frowned. She turned around and noticed her father walking into the living room. Khalid requested for pain medicine as his head was hurting. Alina got medicine and water for her father and herself. She too gulped a medicine and had some water.

In the night, the family members were back to normal. Asmat and Alina got busy preparing dinner whilst Khalid watched the nine pm news debate. They were interrupted by a doorbell. Khalid got up, adjusted his cream-white Kurtha, and got to the door. Haider stood on the other side dressed in casual olive Tee, long sleeves folded till his elbows and his palms buried into the pockets of his brown skinny jeans.

'Hello, sir.' – He greeted, - 'I am sorry,' – he placed a palm over his heart then moved his hand away, - 'I had to hurry back to my hotel room because of work.' He apologized with a smile. Khalid smiled accepting his apologies and stepped aside letting him in.

Alina walked into the living room and stood rooted on the spot upon seeing Haider enter the room.

'Hi!' He waved a hand.

Alina gulped, - 'Hi—hi.' She composed herself. Haider then looked at Khalid and requested for Asmat to be present with them. Asmat readily obliged. Haider walked towards Alina and stood some distance from her. He glanced at Mr. and Mrs. Hooda as they stood beside their daughter.

Haider exhaled deeply, - 'Sir, Ma'am. I know this is awkward and sudden. But the truth is, that I haven't come to Bangalore just for work. I came here for.' – he paused, and his gaze darted to Alina, - 'I have come here for Miss. Alina.' 

Asmat bit her grin while Khalid looked perplexed. Haider looked back at the parents.

'Alina is a very hard-working and focused intern at my office. Truly, an asset.' – Haider lowered his head, fidgeting with his finger. He looked up again, - 'Elders should be the one discussing all this, but I don't have any. So, I am going to start the conversation myself.' He sighed. Alina crossed her fingers behind her back. Her heart pounding in her throat, she swallowed softly.

'By now, you must have gotten a hint about what I am about to say.'- he paused, - 'I am in love with your daughter and I want to marry her.'- he looked at Alina, - 'This is not to pressurize you, Miss. Alina. I just want to prove to you that I am really serious about you.' – he paused to lick his dry lips, - 'Also, if you remember how I avoided paparazzi the first time I had come to your locality.' – he gave a thoughtful pause, - 'But this time I didn't take any cover. This time I want them to see us together. I don't want to hide us.'

Haider lowered his gaze and pulled out a box from the pocket. He snapped the box open, revealing a princess cut halo diamond ring. Alina inhaled sharply and her eyes widened. He kneeled in front of her. Asmat grabbed the sleeves of Khalid's Kurtha and watched with bright eyes. Khalid was expressionless and silently looked on with his breath hitched in his chest.