28 | Make it Right

Nate

Today, Catherine requests a day-off saying she has to go to a group therapy session with a support group. I asked her if I could come and she just frowned at me with confusion asking me why. That made me taken aback because I don't know how to reply. I know the answer but should I tell her that I wanted to be with her and show some support?

I just shrugged my shoulders in reply and she said that I shouldn't have to because I'll only get bored being surrounded by a group of middle-aged women.

So, today I worked alone and even though Daisy is just outside Catherine's office, I refuse to ask anything from her. Hell, I refuse to even see her. It irritated me and wanted to fire her then and there. Especially after what I found out from Grace earlier.

Since Catherine is on a day-off, I took this opportunity to talk with Grace, her best friend. I am sure that she has something to do or at least she knows the reason why Catherine suddenly decided to distance herself from me.

Earlier during lunch, I went to the cafeteria which I don't normally do. I stepped in and got cautious looks from my employees that were eating there. They were probably wondering what I was doing there. But I couldn't care less. I looked around trying to find a face that I saw in the company's database where the information and photos of my employees were there.

Until I found the person I am looking for. It is not that easy to recognize her, because Catherine had already mentioned how Grace tends to make an effort to always look perfect and presentable. That she even looks like the boss than her boss.

I saw a girl that wore an elegant V-neck white shirt and high waist wide long leg black pants. Her hair is wavy as if she just came out of the salon. She is sitting in front of the head of the HR Department which I am familiar with. That's why I knew that it was her.

I stood on the side of their table making them taken aback when they found out that it was me. I asked Grace if I could talk with her in my office after lunch and she nodded her head. I left the place after I made sure that she got the message.

After lunch, I heard a knock on my office door and I knew that it was Grace because no one would come knocking at my door without Catherine informing me first. And since Catherine is not here, no one would dare come knocking at my door. Unless I am expecting them.

Grace came in nervously and I gestured to her to sit in front of my desk. As soon as she got seated, I asked her straightforwardly. I noticed that she paled at first, her hand was fidgeting on her lap and she was biting her lower lip.

I waited for her to calm her nerves and find the confidence to answer my question. And when she did, I instantly went outraged but I succeeded in not showing it to her.

"People were talking about how seemingly close you and Catherine are. They cannot help it especially when they are seeing you going to and from work together and eating lunch together. And Daisy has been talking about how Catherine is spending a lot of time inside your office. There were assumptions that Catherine is seducing you to make her your mistress. I'm sorry sir, but with all due respect, people know that you are married and have two daughters. It won't be fair for Catherine to see you both together, with you giving her special treatment. She would be labeled as a mistress and a home-wrecker even if that is not true. Her reputation would be ruined. I know that you know about her condition. She's already been through a lot, and still going through it. The last thing she needs is situations like this that will stress her out emotionally and psychologically which I am sure you know that always trigger her flare." She is straightforward just like what Catherine told me.

She paused to catch her breath then she continued but in a softer tone, "If you care for her like I think you do, you will make this right. I love my best friend, I watch her as she struggles to continue her life despite her pain and she deserves to be happy."