5. Howls

"He was joking. I'm not a Sugar Baby." I say, my eyes still not meeting his. I had half the mind to walk back inside the hotel and sit outside Niall's door for the remainder of the evening.

"I didn't mean to offend." Paul says, standing a few feet away from me, watching my reactions. I took in a deep breath and continued walking with him. "You made quite an impression on Niall."

"No, the design of my shorts did." I counter, shoving my hands into its pockets.

"He's got this obsession with flags," Paul agrees with a nod. "It's his thing."

"Learn something new everyday." I say, the cool wind whipping my hair around my head, causing Paul to pull his jacket tighter around him.

"Aren't you cold?"

"No, actually-"

"How is that even possible? It's freezing."

"I've been homeless almost all my life." I stated. "The cold has never really bothered me all too much. My hunger had a bigger affect."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

My eyes meet his and I take in a sharp breath at the pity behind them. "It's fine. I have a new family. Though I'd like them to be more understanding and allowing, at least I'm off the streets."

"And your parents?"

"Dead," I sigh. "Can we not talk about my life? It's getting a bit deep and uncomfortable."

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry."

Our eyes stayed down on the ground, our heads hanging. The streets lit up from the billboard screens, drawing my eyes up.

"Oh god," I sigh, stopping. "How big is Niall and this band of his?"

"World wide stars." Paul says, his eyes looking up to see what caused the question. "You must know them, at least?"

"Must I?"

"One Direction." Paul states.

"Oh. They must've gotten bigger from the last time I heard of them."

"When was the last time you heard of them?"

"Uh, like three years ago."

"Have you been living under a rock?" Paul chuckles, shaking his head.

"Well, I was pretty isolated from everything, given the state of where I was living."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be-"

"It's fine." I quickly cut him off, giving a soft smile. "I get it. I was joking as well."

"I'm happy for you that you found a family. And you have a boyfriend, so life must be treating you well, you aside from him not speaking to you."

"Boy-? Oh. Oh, yeah. I don't think he and I will be working out after all, actually. He's uh- self centered and controlling."

"You mean he hits you?" Paul asks, his movements slowing.

"If he did, he'd be dead." I shrug. "No, the relationship isn't abusive. Maybe just mentally."

"Mentally?"

"Yeah." Because its all in my head. "I don't want to talk about it."

"That's fine. I really should get back to the guys, though." We were rounding a corner, not far from the alley Niall and I were attacked in.

"Yeah, you should get back. Get all this new information back to Niall." I joke, turning back with him.

"It wasn't- well.... I had a nice walk with you. You seem very-"