10. Sadie

Niall had told me that we can't draw attention to ourselves while he exited the hotel through the fire escape. So I didn't put up a fuss about the harness and the leash when we finally made it outside. But you can sure as hell think I did as we descended the stairs.

But telling a large white fluffy animal not to attract too much attention in a place that is so crowded that driving at any hour is a hassle, it's ludicrous.

Niall's hood was pulled up, ear buds planted into his ears but I could hear that he played no music, it was just a prop.

He avoided the route that took him past the alleyway where his rescue took place. Instead, we stumbled through the streets where everyone gave me space just to be on the safe side of which I wouldn't dare bite them.

But everyone continued to stare, which caused me to want to bite them that much more.

Being in the streets of New York, though, of course you're gonna pass by alleyways. I looked down each one just to be safe that I wouldn't be caught by any of my tribe who strayed away to keep a watch out. I didn't see any.

"Beatrix." Niall calls for me, looking down through the dark shades covering his eyes. "You okay?"

I huffed out a complainant sigh, bobbing my head up and down. He smiled. Each movement of my walking, the harness between my shoulder blades was felt.

I walked funny with it on, always trying to shift the harness around to a position where I could feel it less. The smell of lush nature wafted up to my nose, causing my mouth to water with want.

In this form, my humanity wasn't as stable as my beast side. I wanted everything a wolf would- a wild wolf. I wanted freedom as well as to be guarding Niall.

We waited for a chance to cross the street, the large park just within reach...

"Don't go too far." Niall whispers as he bends down at the knee in the grass and unlatches the leash from my harness. "Just come back to me."

I run off toward the center of the park and before I knew it, I threw myself down on to the grass, my huge body wiggling as I lay on my back and whine in excitement.

In all honesty, I truly loved this. With only the smell of the city in almost every corner, smelling fresh green grass and trees was a delight, especially with this nose.

I heard distinct chuckles all around me, and a child squealing not very far. It was a noise of excitement.

I roll over on my tummy, one of my ears bent over backwards and the other was stood straight up. My paws were extended in front of me and I watched as a little girl wobbled her way over to me.

My massive size didn't intimidate this little girl, her arms reaching.

I stretched my neck out low toward her, my nose sniffing at the air between us curiously. By the smell of a person, you can know quite a lot about them. And right now, I can smell the shampoo she uses, the juice she just drank, and the generic child-safe nail polish she had put on.

"Beatrix?" I hear Niall call for me, quietly. "Oh, my god. Please don't bite the little girl, please don't bite the little girl." I hear him chant to himself as he power walks toward me.

"Sadie?" I hear a woman ask quietly from a picnic blanket, her book coming down to her lap. I looked over the little girls shoulder and saw the lady look around their area before looking up to find her daughter walking toward me. "Sadie, no!"

With the lady yelling at her daughter and Niall chanting from behind me, my ears twitched. The little girl who still wobbled my way with her mother now chasing after her, she looked about two and her feet were still slightly unstable.

She tripped over her own two feet and I threw my head out to her so she wouldn't fall on the ground but instead fell upon my face.

Despite the immediate contact with me, in the range of biting distance, she wrapped her tiny arms around my muzzle and hugged me tightly. I struggled with her bit of weight and lifted my neck, allowing the little girl on to her feet safely.

I heard no noise from Niall or the mother and the little girl made her way around to my side, patting me rather roughly on my ribs. I rolled over to expose my belly to her and she quickly leaned in to my fur, her fingers tangling themselves in the thick white hairs all over my body.

When she began climbing up, I hear her mother again, dismissing the girl from going any higher.

"Sadie, no. That's enough." The woman says.

I roll back over on my stomach and stand to my full height, the woman watching me and her eyes growing until I stood at my tallest. I sink my head and dip my nose toward the little girl, tickling her stomach.

Unexpectedly, she leaned forward and gave me a sloppy kiss on my wet nose. I didn't want to lick other people so I pressed my nose to her cheek lightly before I felt Niall's presence next to me.

"Sorry if she scared you. She's really loving." He tells the lady, not disguising his accent at all.

"I saw that." The woman smiles. "I guess her size freaked me out a bit."

"She's gentle. Wouldn't hurt anyone unless someone's in danger." Was he really showing me off right now? "She was actually trained to protect. Beatrix here actually saved my life not very long ago."

"I'm impressed. What kind of breed is she?"

"I'm not really sure." Niall answers, his hood and sunglasses still on as he looks over at me. "She's rare, I know that."

"She's beautiful.... May I?" The woman raises her hand toward me, hesitantly.

Before Niall could respond, I leaned forward until the top of my head rested against her hand. She gasps quietly.

"She's so soft." She chuckles, pulling her hand away.

"She's also very good with words." Niall chuckles quietly, looking around to make sure he wasn't too noticed yet.

"Is she, now?" The woman smiles.

He's totally showing me off. I felt proud about that.

"Doggie." The little girl calls for me, her hand slapping my nose. I quickly pull away as I shake my head, but she only giggles.

"We should be going," The lady says with a content sigh. "Thanks for letting Beatrix play with Sadie."

"Not a problem." Niall answers before his fingers gently scratch behind my left ear. "Say good bye, Beatrix."

I dipped my head at the lady before watching Sadie with close eyes. She took short steps to me and I squatted down just a bit, her body falling in to my chest as she hugged around my neck. I lifted my left paw up and wrapped it around her waist, keeping her close until she pulled away.

"I've never seen that before." Sadie's mother said, astounded. "That isn't a normal dog."

"I know." Niall smiles in content and attached my harness to its waiting leash.

(Sorry, I don't know. I don't feel like this book is any good)