19. Vet

Niall won.

I sat with my head hung in the waiting room, my ears lowered as I glowered at all the other animals around me.

One had a cone around it's head to stop it from licking at it's medicine that was smeared over an infection on it's left hind leg. I could smell it from here. Gross.

Another dog had a limp on its front right paw but it's dumb ass wouldn't lay down and sit still. It hopped around as far as it's leash would allow in front of it's owner.

There were a pair of cats here as well, stationed as far from us dogs as possible who twitched like they were ticking. They hissed every now and again in freaky unison as the limping dog moved back and forth.

Oddly enough, a woman held a baby sloth as well. It didn't move much, but it smelled weird.

I huffed and shook out my fur from head to tail standing as I do so. This was like an insane asylum for animals.

I look up at Niall who was seated and watching me. I laid my head down on his thigh, begging with my eyes to end this and take me to the park. He glanced at the time above the front desk frequently.

"Beatrix." My name was called by a woman emerging from a door leading to the rest of the building.

Niall stood and I simply walked beside him, my tail limp behind me.

He begged me to behave when he tried to bring me inside the building from the parking lot. He even let a tear fall after explaining that he loves me and needs me to be okay, and that this will help him sleep at night.

Stupid Damien and his stupid way of wanting me to accept him as a pack. I blamed him for this. He made me act funny around Niall and thus making him worry.

The lady led us to a room in the back, one amongst many, and I could smell the chemicals of cleaning supply. The scent hit my nose like an on-coming car.

I winced.

"You can go ahead and take a seat." She says, shutting the door behind her. Niall seats himself down on the chair in the corner of the room, commanding me to sit next to him on the floor. I did as I was told. "So, my name is Beth and I'm gonna be asking a few questions."

Niall nodded as she spoke, keeping quiet.

"Okay, so first off, what have you come in for today?" She asks, a paper on a clip board and a thin pen in her hands. She walked over to the middle table where they lay the animals and used it as a tool to write on.

"Well," Niall starts. "Just yesterday morning, Beatrix here was herself. She's always so happy and spirited and lively, and then when I took her walking, I lost her for about ten minutes, no more than fifteen, and when I found her again, she was different."

"Where did you lose her?"

"I don't know the streets name. But just North of here, maybe a mile."

"Okay. What do you mean by different?"

"She was slow." Slow? I look up at Niall, my eyes quizzical as I chew over his words. "She wouldn't eat even though she's always hungry. She didn't want to play or look at me. All she wanted to do was lay down."

Beth didn't say anything as she scribbled everything down, her hand working fast.

"I'm afraid she might have ate or drank something that isn't settling right."

"That's common with animals being on the streets." Beth says. "And you said she was fine just yesterday morning?"

"Yes."

"Okay, what I'm gonna do is have you help me bring her up on the table and I'm gonna take some blood, run some tests. I'll take her temperature, and run a quick X-ray just to be sure of anything she might have injested."

"Okay." Niall says and he let's go of a deep breath.

Before they could make their way toward me, I stood from my spot on the floor and pounced up gracefully onto the table, laying down and taking up the whole top, my front paws haning over and my tail danlging back and forth.

"Good girl." Niall says, coming over to stand in front of my head. He takes my head between his hands, his thumbs rubbing back and forth against the fur beneath my ears.

"Can you keep her calm like that?" Beth asks from somewhere in the room. "This might sting and freak her out."

"I got her." Niall confirms, his hands pressing farther into my fur.

But it was unnecessary. As I felt the bite of a needle in my left hind leg, I didn't move a muscle.