Chapter 16

Skipping school used to be fun.

It used to be an escape from reality to go hang out at a park or try and find some abandoned buildings to break into, however, now, it's the exact opposite. Gerard has been skipping school to deal with reality, and doesn't like it.

It's Wednesday, five days after Frank was attacked by his mother, and four days since Gerard took him to his house. He hardly knows how Frank is doing, because seems so out of it, and other than getting up to use the bathroom, or drinking something that Gerard has brought him, he hasn't done really anything. He hasn't even talked much, and he hasn't had any solid food since he got here, he mostly just sleeps all day.

Something's really wrong with Frank, and Gerard can't tell what it is. He seems so lifeless. He hasn't cried since him and Frank were in the bathtub together. He won't try to walk around or go outside, he doesn't want his phone, he doesn't want to play his guitar or go back to school. He's so... empty.

Frank lets Gerard hold him at night when they're lying down together, but Frank doesn't say a word. Gerard's thankful that he seems to still like cuddling, but even then, there's no enthusiasm for it. He lies still when Gerard's arms snake around his waist to hold him close, but he doesn't snuggle into him.

Gerard doesn't know if he's supposed to stay close or give him space, because Frank won't talk to him. Frank's going to need to shower today though, and Gerard doesn't know if he's going to be able to get him to do it.

Gerard's dad came home early on Saturday night to check on Frank, but he didn't end up doing much. Gerard did what needed to be done, and that was the end of it. Mikey came home on Sunday, and Gerard had informed him that Frank will be staying with them for a while. Mikey thought it was cool, but he doesn't know the reason why he's here, he just knows that something bad happened, and he needed somewhere to stay. He's been getting curious and asking why Frank doesn't go to school and why Gerard's been skipping, but Mikey doesn't ever get a straight answer.

Gerard's leaving it up to Frank if he wants to tell Mikey what happened, but that seems unlikely, given that he won't talk to anyone.

It's around midday, and Gerard's been up and about for a few hours. Gerard offered to make Frank breakfast, and after he declined, he offered to set up a movie, but Frank asked Gerard to leave him alone. So, he stayed out in the living room and watched TV by himself for a while, but Mikey joined him after a couple hours.

"Where's Frank?" Mikey asks, sitting adjacent to his brother, even though the answer is obvious.

"In my room," Gerard responds, sounding frustrated.

"Is he asleep still? I can try and wake him up," Mikey offers, but Gerard dismisses him.

"Don't bother. He asked to be left alone. I don't know what he's doing in there, I'm just giving him a few hours," Gerard responds. Mikey's silent for a moment, pretending to be interested in the show on TV, but he doesn't even know what they're watching, so he turns back to his brother.

"Did you and him get in a fight?" Mikey asks. Gerard sighs.

"No. I don't know. Stop asking me shit, I don't have answers. He won't talk, you already know that. Just leave it be," Gerard grumbles, and he gets up off the couch and leaves the room, not wanting to talk to his brother. He makes his way into the kitchen. He doesn't realize Mikey followed him until he turns to open a cupboard.

"I could talk to him if you want," Mikey implores.

"He doesn't want to be bothered, just leave it be," Gerard grumbles, shutting the cupboard harder than he should have, and it shudders.