Chapter 17

Gerard is back at school. He missed too many days, so he doesn't really have a choice at this point, but Frank is still staying home, his injuries still very prevalent. Gerard made coffee while Frank was still asleep and set some aside for him before leaving to head out to school. Gerard gets a text while on his way to school, and despite knowing that it's dangerous to be on your phone while driving, he picks it up anyway. Mikey tries to take it from him.

"Fuck off, I'm not gonna reply," Gerard grumbles, glancing at the screen.

"That's not safe," Mikey comments. Gerard rolls his eyes.

"I'm aware," Gerard answers, reading the text.

(7:26am)+going shopping. ill b back b4 ur home, just wanted to let u know n e way

Gerard sets his phone back down after reading the message.

"There, I'm being safe now, dad. Are you happy?" Gerard mocks. His brother glares at him.

"One of these days, you're gonna thank me for trying to keep you safe. It's a bad habit you've got," Mikey says. Gerard sighs and reaches for his coffee, taking a sip.

"If I ever end up dead because of it, I'll let you spit on my grave," Gerard mutters.

"That's not funny," Mikey replies. Gerard shrugs.

"I wasn't trying to be funny," Gerard says, and Mikey doesn't have anything else to say now. The remainder of the ride to school is silent. Gerard responds to Frank's message when he's in the parking lot of the school after Mikey gets out.

(7:32am)-ok. hav fun. b safe. miss u<3

(7:33am)+love u

Gerard's heart skips a beat upon reading that message. He smiles as he types his reply.

(7:33am)-love u more

(7:33am)+no

(7:34am)-yes

(7:34am)+no

(7:34am)-yes

(7:34am)+no

(7:34am)-yes

(7:34am)+no

(7:35am)-yes

(7:35am)+no

(7:35am)-yes

(7:35am)+no

(7:35am)-yes

(7:36am)+no

(7:36am)+g stfu ily

(7:37am)-love u 2. be safe tho

(7:37am)+i will b

(7:37am)-ty. ttyl

Gerard chuckles throughout their conversation, and then turns his phone off and his car. He steps out and locks it, then starts walking towards the front entrance of the school.

It's weird being back here. Nothing changed here, but it's different now because his home life is so different. It doesn't feet right to not be glued at the hip to Frank. It doesn't feel right to be away from him for so long. He walks down to his locker without his best friend by his side, and he feels lonely.

He decides to head to his first period early because there's really nothing else to do other than go to the cafeteria, but he already ate, so off to English he goes. He hates the class, but the teacher is nice, so he deals with it. She lets him drink coffee during class too, so bonus points for that. She reminds him of Nike shoe brand. Like the orange box. She's the Nike shoe box if Nike was a person. She's tall, she's got long natural orange hair, and she doesn't suck too much, though she is popular amongst popular leaning people. She's nice to the quiet kids, and she doesn't break down when someone says something that would piss off any other teacher. She's strong, but she won't get pissed off, and she'll continue doing her job. She's exactly like Nike shoes, Gerard thinks.