Chapter 10

The drive home is nerve wracking. Mikey stayed at Ray's place and he's planning on staying there the rest of the weekend. Ray said he would drive Mikey back to the Way house on Sunday, so Gerard doesn't have to worry about having to drive back there when the weekend ends to go pick up his little brother. About five minutes before Gerard and Frank arrive at Frank's home, Gerard pulls over on a rich neighborhood subdivision, and he looks over at Frank worriedly. His hands fidget with the steering wheel.

"I need you to call me as soon as you can. Tell me if anything goes wrong, I promise I'll come over to get you even if it's in the middle of the night," Gerard says.

"I'll be okay, and I'll call you," Frank confirms, trying to reassure his friend. Gerard is rendered silent for a moment.

"Can I please just bring you to my house instead? You don't have to step foot in that house ever again, Frank. You're an adult now," Gerard pleads. Frank chews on his lip and shakes his head, not allowing Gerard to win.

"As much as I want to say yes, she's still my mom, and I have to take care of her. I'm sorry, but nothing you can say can stop me going home. I gotta be there for her," Frank stresses.

"Why can't you let me be there for you?" Gerard asks quietly, starting to tear up, really not wanting to leave Frank with the person who abuses him, but deep down, he knows it's going to take so much more for him to leave. People who get abused never leave easily and without a fight. It's just not how it works, and Frank probably doesn't even realize how wrong it is.

Frank reaches over and takes hold of Gerard's left hand with both of his, and gently gives a reassuring squeeze.

"You are here for me, but I can take care of myself. I'll be okay. I promise," Frank insists. They meet eyes, and Gerard nods, even though he's pretty certain that he won't be okay. Shit like this just doesn't go away on it's own, but he agrees with him anyway, because at least one person has to be on his side.

"Call me," Gerard whispers, gently stroking Frank's knuckles with his thumb. Neither of them talk for a moment, and they both stare forward at the darkening sky in front of them. It's supposed to storm tonight, but the rain is coming in early.

Frank is still starting ahead with his fingers linked together with Gerard's, and he doesn't realize he's staring at him until he feels their hands separate, and he feels a hand oh his cheek.

"I'm gonna miss you, baby," Gerard whispers, and Frank turns his head towards him, and his other hand comes up to his other cheek, so he's cupping Frank's face in his palms. He leans forward until their foreheads touch, and they rest against each other.

"I'll miss you, too," Frank replies back, and Gerard can feel his breath fanning on his lips. Their eyes are both closed, so Frank can't see that Gerard's tongue darts out to wet his lips. They stay like that, neither of them moving in, and they're so close that every time the other breathes out, they feel the warmth of their air on their faces.

"What the hell are you waiting for?" Frank asks, already breathless. Gerard smiles and nudges his nose against Frank's.

"I'm waiting for you to kiss me first," Gerard breathes, leaning closer so their lips are so close to touching, "'Cause that would be really hot."

"Oh my god, Gee, shut the fuck up," Frank replies breathlessly, and he closes the very small gap between them, initiating their first kiss. It's slow and languid and sloppy, but even with all of those, it's perfect at the same time. They pull apart for a moment to get some air, and this time, it's Gerard who pulls Frank back, tugging the back of his neck, and his lips chase Frank's, growing hungrier for more. Gerard's hand entangles itself into Frank's hair, pulling him close. He kisses Frank until Frank has to push him back, because he can't fucking breathe with Gerard sticking his tongue down his throat.

After catching his breath again, though, Frank's hands are on the sides of Gerard's face, pulling him closer so he can press his lips to his mouth again, because face it, Gerard's mouth is intoxicating. This kiss is slower, as Gerard is letting Frank set the pace.

He wasn't planning on making out with Frank to have more time with him before he inevitably brings him home, but he doesn't regret it, though he may regret choosing now to be the time they first kissed, because already, he wants more. More than just sweet kisses, he wishes so badly that he didn't have to bring him home. His hands move to Frank's shoulders and the back of his neck.

Their lips move against each other for a few seconds longer, and when they split apart, it's only for a second, because Gerard can't help but press his lips against Frank's a few times, just little pecks, but they feel so good.

When Gerard finally pulls away, he looks at Frank, who's face is a whole new shade of red he's never seen before, and he can't help but laugh.

"You look like a fucking tomato," Gerard laughs, and Frank doesn't try to hide his face, instead, he leans in and presses his lips to Gerard's once more, and Frank smiles against his mouth. Gerard holds him close when their mouths part ways, wanting to hug him before he goes. When Gerard loosens his hold, Frank reluctantly leans away from him and sits back properly in the passenger seat.

Gerard leans back against his seat and starts the car again after a few beats.

"You're cute," He says, not looking at Frank.

"Shut up," Frank replies, and he sees Gerard smile. His props his elbow up on the door and leans his chin against his hand. The car starts moving again, and they're on the road to hell, otherwise known as the shit-hole that the Iero's live in. There isn't much nice to say about the house or the woman that lives in there with Frank.

It only takes a few minutes for them to get there, and when Gerard pulls in the driveway, he really doesn't want Frank to go, but he doesn't say anything, because Frank is starting to look stressed himself. He watches Frank unbuckle his seat belt and reach for the door handle, but then he pauses and turns around. He regards Gerard for a moment, and then a few seconds later, he's over the center console and in his arms, tucking his head into Gerard's neck.

"See you on Monday," Frank murmurs.

"If you don't show, I'm gonna skip and come over and stay with you during the day," Gerard quietly replies, but Frank shakes his head.

"You won't have to. I'll be fine," Frank assures. He doesn't see the skeptical look on Gerard's face.

"You better be fine. I miss you already," Gerard sadly says.

"I miss you more," Frank mumbles, hesitating before leaning back and tilting his head up to press his lips to Gerard's one last time before he gets out of the car and starts walking to his door. He turns around and waves at him, and Gerard waves back, and then Frank turns the doorknob, and he walks inside his house.

The house is quiet, and it takes him less than two minutes to realize he's home alone.

He decides to head to his bedroom, and he sits on his sits on the chair in the corner of his room, and he lifts up his guitar and starts playing a song that he's been working on without the band's knowledge, and he doesn't know if he'll ever share it with the boys. It means something to him, but he only has a little written, and if he was to show it to them, he'd want to finish it first.

So many
Bright lights that cast a shadow
But can I speak?
Well, is it hard understanding I'm incomplete?
A life that's so demanding
I get so weak
A love that's so demanding
I can't speak.

When Frank finishes singing the small part of the song he has written, he hears the front door of the house open, and the only person that would be here is his mother, so Frank quickly puts his guitar back down, and he gets up and shuts his door and locks it.

There are times he can deal with his moms shit, but today isn't that day, and he's going to spend the rest of his Saturday in peace and deal with his mom tomorrow. He just hopes she doesn't even realize he's here, and that she's drunk so she'll ignore him completely and and out in front of the TV on the couch.

He's lucky today, and his wishes end up being granted. She doesn't even come up to Frank's door, and he's left alone for the remainder of the night.