RENGOKU KYOJURO | FLUFF

rengoku kyojuro / reader
tw: none.

[lowercase intended]
-

"hey sweetie!" rengoku clicked the green button to answer [name]'s call. he stirred around the bell peppers and onions in the pan, a loud sizzle each time the sliced vegetable was pressed into the oil.

"yo! rengoku, what're you doing?" [name] spoke into the speaker, she seemed chipper. rengoku could picture the large smile on her face. the image made his heart beat a little faster... god, how did she manage to make him this happy..

"i'm just cooking dinner! i'm using that spatula you bought me.. the one with the bear ears on the end!" rengoku placed the phone on the counter and put the slightly charred vegetables onto a plate, ripping a paper napkin off of the roll to dab off some of the oil.

"aw, glad you liked it! what're you cooking?"

"it's some.. recipe that tanjirou from the flower shop recommended me! he said that his boyfriend really enjoyed it," he got a knife from his stand and started chopping the chicken into semi-thin slices "his name was inosuke or something."

"oh, that sounds so good! wish i was there.."

[name] and rengoku had been dating for 2 years, during that time, they had never seen each other face to face— besides the daily facetime calls they have before going to bed ([name] always falls asleep during rengoku's rambles about the drama at work).

"i'll make the same thing when you come over!there's only a month left so it won't be too long until you have a taste of my delicious food." rengoku had been ecstatic since the day [name] said she had a week off from work, she decided she'd go over to visit.

"alright, alright. you can stop boasting now, i bet your food'll be amazing."

"better than that!"

"fine! restaurant quality."

"5-star, better than gordon ramsey quality."

rengoku and [name] both laughed, hard. rengoku tried his best from now keeling over as he: 1) had chicken cooking in oil and 2) had a large ass knife in his hand.

"fine, fine. you win."

"you bet i did, don't disrespect my skills. i swear i'll have you asking for thirds."

"thirds? ohoho, you must be amazing then. can't wait, better perfect your recipe then!"

"augh.. this smells so good-"

"you're trying to make me jealous, aren't you?" [name] scoffed, then shuffling was heard on the other side of the phone.

"maybe i am. you should be though, this smells like heaven on earth." rengoku untied the pink apron that had been soiled with splashes of oil. he hung the apron onto a hook and reached for a plate in his cabinet.

"rengoku.. can you check your front door? i sent a gift earlier this week and it says that it arrived today.."

"oh.. yeah sure. you should've told me you sent something! i would've been checking for it."

"that would've ruined the surprise, ren! you know that surprises are cruicial for a good gift!"

"alright, alright! i'll check right now..."

rengoku set the plate that had a spoonful of vegetables on it onto the counter. he reached over to rip off a napkin and ran to the door.

"i'm che- [name]?! wha- you- why're you here?"

"do you not want me here? this was my gift!"

"no, no, i'm fucking bouncing off the walls," he pulled her into a large hug, spinning her in the air. rengoku hugged her like it was the last time he'd see her, not wanting to let go.

"i don't see you bouncing from wall to wall.."

"it's a metaphor! i don't literally mean it.." he laughed and set her down.

"well, you were cooking dinner no? serve me some, ren."

"coming right up!"

wow, finally a rengoku oneshot. this was going to be a smut, but my brain couldn't write one so i resorted to searching up prompts. i lowkey hc that rengoku can cook well? and that he'd boast about it. also don't take my recipe thing to heart, this is coming from someone who can't cook eggs.

love u to bits, stay safe. mwah <3