Ch6-4 The Power of Anger

"Cecil!" Golbez hissed through the damp dungeon air, "It vanished!"

"What? What vanished?" the Paladin's head swerved tensely. His eyes latched on to the dim image of his brother's face where it hovered, lit from below by the strange device. "What are you talking about?"

It took the Master Wizard a moment before he seemed to realize that Cecil was addressing him. Then, with a morose face, he replied, "Incrytan... it's not here in the castle anymore!"

Edge's glance took in the brothers, mostly because they had stopped walking and were now blocking the entire narrow corridor in front of him. Pressing his shoulder to one wall, the Ninja found no way to squeak his way past the two Half-Lunars, who stood fixated on the small crystal device in the Wizard's hand.

Damn Golbez's big arse!

"How do you know?" Cecil was asking.

"It's not showing on the tracker anymore," Golbez grimaced.

"Hey, let's move it!" Edge growled, trying to peer over the tall Wizard's shoulder without success. A veil of green cloak filled his sight. And his words went unheard.

Come on! Come on!! Who cares about some stupid rock – we're so close to finding Rydia!

"How could that be?" the Paladin's face oozed concern. "Something like Incrytan just doesn't vanish in a moment, does it?"

Golbez pursed his lips. "I have my theories..."

"That's nice... now move the hell out the way!" Edge gave the Wizard's shoulder a sharp nudge.

From behind the Ninja, Chase blinked at Porom with a concerned glance.

Golbez turned in response to the prod. His green eyes glittered down at Edge, almost spectral in the glow of the crystal device as the stern lines of his face were accented sharply in discontent. For that passing moment, it felt as if the presence of the Dark Lord had suddenly reawakened.

He's really pissed about this Crystal thing... isn't he?

The Ninja forced his feet to remain rooted to the slippery, mossed stone, though his initial reaction was to flinch. Grey eyes sharpened as tension trickled through the corridor.

Maybe I should have kept my trap shut.

Cecil must have sensed it, too. His hand was already clamped to the Wizard's upper arm as if to command away any dark urges his brother might have. His voice was nervous, but soothing, "Golbez..."

The Ninja felt his own hand straying near the hilt of his blade.

We're so close, Rydia. I'm not letting this dark-hearted bastard get in my way...

"Edge..." Cecil's voice turned on him, as if sensing the Ninja's train of thought. "Not now. Both of you."

The Wizard gave a long, shuddering breath. When he dropped his eyes from the conflict, there was a hint of what seemed embarrassment.

"I don't think you comprehend the situation here," Golbez's deep voice was thick. Concerned. "Incrytan is our goal here. Anything else is moot beside it."

Edge felt his heel grind into the stone. His eyes flashed, "It's just like Golbez to say something like that!"

"Hun?" the Half-Lunar stared, a sudden baffled expression flooding his face.

He really doesn't get it, does he?

"You're the one that doesn't understand," Edge shoved a finger forward and waved it sharply. "Someone's life is at stake here! One of our own is taken prisoner... and that means nothing to you? You're so obsessed with finding your stupid magic trinket that everything else besides that is moot – even human life?"