Chapter 29

KL Rahul

As soon as my alarm buzzed I shut it off so that it wouldn't wake Neha up. I washed my face, got changed into my tee and track pants and I then wrote a note for Neha saying that I am at practice. Last night we had a lot of fun, we chilled out, unfortunately we couldn't eat anything or to be more specific me. I couldn't eat anything off diet at least till for a few more days. 'Cause two matches are still pending.

I pulled out my phone and uploaded a picture on my Instagram account of us at the Beach house from California. It was one of the candid pictures that Hardik had taken of us. My head resting on her shoulder as she laughed about something while holding 'The City of Bones' novel in her hand.

I love her that way, calm, funny, not tensed and when she's herself. I posted the picture with the caption 'The way Edward Cullen has his Bella Swan, Jace Herondale has his Clary Fray, Ron Weasley has his Hermione Granger, Augustus Waters has his Hazel Grace Lancaster, Peter Kavinsky has his Lara Jean, Noah Flynn has his Elle Evans. I have you and I promise to hold onto you forever. Love you to the moon and back.'

She was definitely going to freak out when she would switch on her phone. Let's just hope her phone doesn't hang, otherwise I would have to buy her a new phone. According to Virat she has been using that phone like forever. I think I would gift her a new phone on her birthday.

***

We just had a break after two hours of heavy practice. I sat on the bench drinking water when Harry came and sat beside me.

"Hey, Happy Anniversary."

"Thanks Harry."

"So what are the plans for today?"

"I am taking her out."

"Good for you man!" He said and smacked my arm.

"Did you check your phone?" He questioned me.

"No not yet why?" I switched on my phone.

"People have gone crazy seeing your post."

My eyes immediately widened at this and I opened Instagram. Sure enough there were tons of notifications, two missed calls from Neha, one missed call from Bhavna and one missed call from my mom. Suddenly another notification popped on my screen '@nehashergill took your picture.'

She had posted a picture of us which we took when we first went out. Our first date. A messy yet cute selfie where I had my arms wrapped around her shoulders and we both had that big goofy grin on our face. She posted it with the caption 'My favourite person, my forever love, my Percy Jackson. I love you to the moon and back.'

God! This girl has definitely changed. I smile at the picture and I'm broken out of my trance by my teammates.

"Rahul, aaj kya hein? Tumne aur Neha dono ne pictures sale hein." Rishabh asks me.

"Our one year Anniversary." I reply with a smile.

"I'm happy that you and my sister are in a long term relationship. I couldn't be more happier for the two of you. But still, if you mess with my sister you mess with me." Virat said and we all laughed.

"Come on boys let's get back to practice. Breaks over!" Ravi sir yells and we all get back to practice.

***

Today's match was a rough one. We needed six runs in two balls. Me and Jaddu bhai were the only hopes lift. It had started freaking me out because I was the batsmen on strike. I looked at the stands to see Neha standing there. She looked at me and gave me a thumbs up, along with a nod. I nodded back to her and prepared myself to face it. The bowler bowled the ball but unfortunately it was a dot ball. I hated myself for it.

Jaddu bhai walked up to me and tried calming me down. I gave him a nod and got back. Neha motioned me to call down. I closed my eyes for a second and opened it again. The bowler had bowled and the deed was done. I had managed to hit a six and this time it was Neha who caught it in the stands, with a huge goofy grin on her face.

I went to collect my Man of the Match award when the interviewer asked me "You were amazing today KL Rahul. What did Ravindra Jadeja tell you before the winning shot?"

"He told me that I could do this and that I just had to calm down for it. He said he believes that I can make India win the match."

"Ohh that's nice. Would you like to dedicate this win to anyone?"

"I would like to dedicate this win to my girlfriend, Neha. She's supported me a lot, I don't think this would be possible without her."

"Thank you for your time KL Rahul." I nodded and walked off with my trophy.

***

"Heyy, you performed so well." Neha said and hugged me as I entered the dressing room. Everyone along with their girlfriends and wives were present there. I was surprised to see even Asfiya present there.

"Neha wear this." I say and give her a paper bag. She removes the dress out. It was a white off-shoulder dress with orange florals on it.

"It's beautiful," she muttered and went to change. I was done freshening up and changed into a white button down shirt and black jeans.

***

We had an amazing dinner and were now walking on a beach. It was so quiet and there was literally no one there to trouble us. I held her hand as we walked together. I had to ask her this.

"You know, Mahi bhai was asking me when we're getting married." I had already told Mahi bhai that I would ask her using his name and he said he didn't have any problem as long as I am happy.

"And, what did you say?"

"I said that we did not decide anything. On a lighter note what do you think about this?"

"Well getting married is not very high on my list but if its with the right person I'll be more than happy." She said pointing towards me and I grinned.

"Although I wouldn't mind being engaged for a few months before getting married. It gives me a chance to know my boyfriend's parents and relatives, their likes and dislikes."

"That's pretty smart."

"I know right."

This is it I am going to ask her to marry me on the day of the last match. I can't wait anymore. I need the whole world to know that she belongs to me. I am hell bent on getting this right.

To be continued...