34

"So how has mom and dad been?" I asked Ethan as I flopped onto his bed

"So how has mom and dad been?" I asked Ethan as I flopped onto his bed. He turned off his phone and shifted to me. "They're better actually after you left and I got busy with school they got some alone time to mend I guess and Alina returning was just icing on the cake," he smiled. My parents were going through a rough patch and they were almost fighting every night. They tried their best for Ethan and me not to notice but we did. I guess we all broke a little when Alina was taken.

"Good, they're my favorite love story," I sighed. My parents were complete enemies but deep down they both always liked each other and never said anything. It took a visit to a competition where they stayed in a hotel together for their truths to be out.

_♤_

"Hi!" I waved my hands madly at River. "My God, she is so weird," River mumbled below her breath making me laugh. "I heard that!" River froze and ran away from the frame.

"How is summer? Sorry I haven't called in the last couple of weeks, Alina and I have been catching up a lot and Ocean is very time consuming," I sighed. Both of them honestly made me feel so much better about the situation. I wasn't thinking about my pregnancy much anymore but it still haunted me at night.

"That's alright, I've been with Ri and Kasen, I think Easton has a new boyfriend," my eyes widened at the last part. Easton having a boyfriend? It was about fricken time. "I know right! He says he is waiting until you come home to introduce us," she continued and I pout. Now I really wanted to go home to see this new guy. "How is he?" I hesitated. Her eyes softened and her lips tugged downwards.

"He went clubbing last night, this breakup isn't doing well on him especially since you're not here," Cassandra frowned deepens as she spoke. She kept dropping silent hints that she wanted me to come home but I couldn't. I'm determined to stay here and spend some time for myself. I used to be so engulfed with reading before Alina died and I dropped it because it was a reminder of her since both loved reading. Now I can't seem to put down the new book called 'House of Furies' I was reading.

"Oh."

"Yeah so tell me, when are you planning on baking?" She wiggled her eyebrows as old memories of us baking in my kitchen downstairs resurfaced. Baking in the summer was a must. "I'm going grocery shopping with Contrad and Ali soon," I said glancing at the clock to make sure I still had time before we left. "How is Ethan? Can you annoy him for me?" She wiggled her eyebrows. "He is living his best life. He is going to be a freshman in college. I can't believe I was in his place one year ago," I mumbled more to myself, memories from one year ago replayed.

All the parties and the hookups with Eli. The drinking. Fighting with my parents or being a bad big sister.

At least I can say that I've definitely changed from that immature broken girl.

_♤_

"Contrad stop sucking my sister's face off," I deadpanned. I leave them alone for two minutes to go find eggs and when I return to our trolley, they're making out against the isle. In the middle of the local grocery. "Shit, sorry, Ev," he cursed and created distance between him and a flustered Alina.

"Eviana and Alina Rose?" We both turn around to see two people who I really didn't want to see on our time home.
"Mrs. And Mr. Cane," I forced the thin smile on my face. Cassandra's parents. "Come give me a hug, you were practically a daughter to me," Lucy, Cass' mom, ushered me and I hesitated to give her a hug. Mid way she stopped and took a step back. "Please don't tell me you're like Cassie," I see a scowl forming on her face. I furrow my brows, trying to think of what she meant and finally, I did.

"That shouldn't matter because nothing is wrong with Cassandra, Lucy. She is the same girl I grew up with and she is still your Cassie. I'm shocked that you're denying her of her happiness when she had a hard time accepting the fact and it wasn't easy so you should be happy and proud she was brave enough to tell you guys the truth. We don't get to choose who we love," I ranted defensively, folding my arms across my chest.

They both were stunned at my little outburst but still said nothing. Their eyes were wide and their jaws were loose. I silently scoffed before turning around and pushing the trolley away from them, ignoring the equally shocked Contrad and Alina. When they both fell into step with me, I was nervous. Did I say the wrong thing?

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked them both. Contrad shook his head," no you stood up for your friend and they're the wrong ones anyway," he said.

"Yeah, they should love her no matter what," Alina huffed, clearly upset with Cassandra's parents.

"Exactly."

We all ignored the little meeting with the parents and carried on with our grocery shopping. When it came to an end and we were home, I got started with the cookies and brownies while Contrad and Alina packed away the groceries which was a chore I absolutely hated while growing up.

After dinner, I retreated upstairs and flopped onto my bed. My mind drifted to Kasen and I frown.

I miss him.