sixteen;

sorry for the late update :( i was kinda scared to post this bc idk if im liking the direction it's now going in, and it was kinda hard to write without it seeming rushed or forced or out of character. i hope i got the right emotions across, though. thanks for reading and being patient <3

-

"she's okay," akaashi reassures (friend's name), who was crying outside the room (y/n) was in. he didn't want to seem insensitive, but he didn't really understand why (friend's name) was crying. (y/n) broke her foot; she didn't die, and it definitely wasn't (friend's name)'s fault to begin with. "she just needs a boot. she'll be okay."

"yeah, but she's in pain," (friend's name) sobbed, and akaashi looked down at his hands and nodded.

"they're giving her medicine to numb the pain. there's no need to worry."

she wiped her eyes, pausing for a moment before hesitantly nodding. "i-i guess you're right."

akaashi was confused.

if he's being honest, he wasn't expecting (friend's name) to react this way. he didn't like judging people right off the bat, but for someone who dated their best friend's crush, she was surprisingly... empathetic towards her friend. she was oblivious as hell (like bokuto), but he could tell she meant well. he kinda felt bad for judging her before.

it's still a shitty thing to do, though. isn't there a girl code that girls follow?

"do you think she hates me?"

akaashi was taken back by her sudden words. she never really spoke to him before, just for the sake of talking, so asking something so serious so suddenly was the last thing he expected. "hmm?"

"(y/n).." (friend's name) says, and his lips part as he understands what she's getting at. "do you think she hates me?"

"why would you think that?" akaashi asks. he realizes that she might not be as oblivious as he thought, but she also sounds.. really sad, by the tone in her voice. regretful.

"n-nevermind... i-i don't know if it's my place to tell." she doesn't know that akaashi knew about (y/n)'s feelings for bokuto.

"i don't think she hates you," akaashi says. he was telling the truth. "if anything, she probably blames herself. that's how she is."

(friend's name) forced a chuckle, staring at her folded hands. "that does sound like her..." then her lip starts to quiver, her breath shaky. "i'm a terrible friend."

"you guys have been friends for a long time. no matter what happens, i'm sure everything will be okay." he hoped so, at least, but he honestly didn't know how this was going to go. but be did know one thing: (y/n) and (friend's name) cared for each other. alot. they were best friends.

akaashi glances at her from the corner of his eye to see fresh tears silently streaming down her face yet again. earlier she was crying due to (y/n)'s physical wounds, and now she was crying due to (y/n)'s emotional wounds. "i-i don't know what to do... i don't want to hurt anyone."

he understands where she is coming from, sort of. whether it's bokuto, (y/n), or even herself, someone was bound to be hurt. he didn't know what to say, so all he did was listen to the painful silence in the hospital's hallway.

then, bokuto's loud voice broke the silence. "akaashi! (friend's name)!"

she quickly wiped her eyes and sniffed, hoping her eyes weren't as red as she felt they were. she looked down the hallway to see bokuto coming with a bouquet of (favorite flowers) in one hand and sunflowers in the other.