seven;

i want y/n to end up with bokuto but @ the same time i don't want y/n and the friend to hate each other whY DID I EVEN WRITE THIS FANFIC LMAO also bokuto is probably rlly ooc and it's short and i'm sorry

-

he doesn't want to hurt akaashi. that much he knows.

but he has no idea how to approach the situation.

the sudden realization of akaashi's 'feelings' towards him makes bokuto act differently towards his friend and teammate. he doesn't know what to do with this newly found 'information' because although akaashi matters to bokuto a whole lot, bokuto's main focus is (friend's name).

so, he accidentally keeps his distance.

soon, it has been two days since they have spoken outside of practice (which, bokuto was distant there too). (friend's name) notices something is wrong.

"babe, is everything alright?" she asks, placing her hand on his shoulder. he turns to her with a frown on his lips.

"so i was just wanting to pair akaashi up with someone, right? i mean, i get a wonderful lady, and he deserves one too! but then it occurred to me. what if he already likes someone? so, i decide that i'm going to do everything in my power to get them together when i realized another thing. he told me i'm oblivious to other people's feelings. can you believe that! me, oblivious? whose feelings am i oblivious about? then i figured everything out. akaashi must be in love with me. it's the only possibility, and i love the boy, but i have you, so that's not even an option! how can i do everything in my power, (friend's name), if it's an impossible solution? i don't want to hurt him," he rambles and sighs. "that's what's been on my mind."

she is stunned for a moment. she wasn't expecting him to open up that quickly. "i... uh."

"you're speechless, right?" he says, groaning. "it's a ridiculous situation. but, who can blame him? i'm awesome! who wouldn't be in love with me?"

"bo... are you sure he's in love, and you're not just jumping to conclusions?" she asks, giggling slightly. "whenever he's around you he looks exhausted. is that love?"

"so, you're saying he doesn't love me?" he asks, and the thought makes his ego go emo.

"i'm saying to maybe talk to him about it?"

"of course! confrontation for confirmation!" he is determined and plans to talk to him tomorrow.

-

"akaashi!" bokuto calls to him suddenly the next day during practice. akaashi flinches at his loud voice, making him loose his concentration - and the ball. "come here!"

akaashi quickly grabs the ball before it can roll too far away and heads over to the bleachers -to bokuto- to have a quick drink break.

"what is it, bokuto-san?" he asks, sighing. bokuto just stares at him and doesn't talk, which is totally out of character, and akaashi notices this.

"do you like anyone?" bokuto asks slowly. he said it and tries to laugh off the question like it's no big deal, just bros talking about bro stuff, but to him, this is an interrogation.

"bokuto-san," akaashi asks, grabbing his water bottle. "what do you think of (y/n)?"

the question was sudden and caught him by surprise. akaashi holds the volleyball by his side, studying bokuto for a reaction.

"(y/n)?" bokuto repeats with a grin. is this the person akaashi likes? "she's cool! very cool. why?"

"just cool?" akaashi asks, suspiciously.

bokuto misunderstands the point of this topic. he thinks that akaashi is needing bokuto's approval for liking (y/n), but actually, akaashi is curious about whether there's any hope for her being with bokuto.

that misunderstanding leads to more misunderstandings. It is what made things go wrong.

"more than cool!" he exclaims, relieved that it's not himself that akaashi secretly likes. "beautiful too! you could stare at her for hours! right, akaashi?"

dammit, bokuto.