ten;

-

"i can't believe you're in love with (y/n)!" bokuto randomly says on their way home from their latest volleyball practice.

"um, excuse me?"

"just so you know, i planned a double date with you, me, (friend's name), and (y/n)," bokuto continues, ignoring akaashi's objections. akaashi stops walking, making bokuto stop as well while giving him a questioning look.

"bokuto-san, why wou-"

"c'mon, akaashi! work with me here! i'm trying to help you with your love life! appreciate me more, please. i'm a good friend," bokuto exclaims while also adding a bit of bragging, and akaashi sighs.

"yes, i know, you had good intentions, but (y/n) isn-"

"(friend's name) is discussing things with (y/n) as we speak," bokuto says and pats akaashi -maybe a bit too hard- on the back. "you've tried your best on your own, and i respect you for that, but let me help-"

"bokuto-san, please listen to me!" akaashi interrupts loudly raising his voice for once, finally gaining bokuto's attention.

"what is it?" bokuto asks, not bothering to hide the large grin on his face. since (friend's name) and bokuto seem so excited for this double date -that might not even happen- akaashi and (y/n) feel guilty when they finally tell them the truth.

"i don't have any romantic feelings towards (y/n)," akaashi admits, making bokuto's smile falter.

"you.. don't? then, who do you like?" he asks, curious. he was so sure that it was (y/n).

akaashi fiddles with his fingers and grows shy at the thought of the person who has stolen his heart. "well, is it a must for me to like anyone?"

"absolutely!"

akaashi sighs, gives up, and admits to bokuto who has constantly been in his thoughts.

"..oh."

"oh," akaashi echoes, his face not showing any particular emotion. as usual. "please, apologize to (y/n) for the misunderstanding."

"but, akaa-"

"bokuto-san, correct your mistake. feel the shame." now, he seems rather amused by the situation. he wouldn't usually try to make bokuto this way on purpose, but he has misinterpreted akaashi's feelings twice.

though, he does feel bad for whoever is dealing with bokuto during his mode because it's definitely not going to be akaashi. he's planning to be long gone and napping on his couch by then.

maybe, when bokuto finally talks to (y/n), he will feel something. who knows. akaashi isn't taking sides, but he does want (y/n) to be happy, and he knows that she would be good for bokuto. at some moment recently, akaashi started to consider her a friend.

"i will apologize," bokuto says, crossing his arms over his chest. apologizing isn't the problem. it's having to cancel a double date that (friend's name) was super excited for. he dreads having to face her already.

akaashi knows just how difficult (friend's name) can be, so he says something that he would probably regret. "fine, i'll go on the double date with (y/n). as friends."

"akaashi!" bokuto cries with appreciation, moving closer to him with his arms open. akaashi dodges as soon as he was near enough to hug him.

"good luck, bokuto-san," akaashi calls behind himself. the couch was calling to him.

-

"(y/n)!" bokuto says loudly from the other side of the room the next day during their lunch break. she could feel her heartbeat increasing rapidly at the familiar voice. he's calling for her?

"y-yes?" she asks, internally cursing herself for stuttering. there aren't many moments where bokuto talks to her at all, and there are barely ever moments by themselves without (friend's name) around.

(y/n) feels guilty already. well, she usually feels guilty whenever her feelings for her best friend's boyfriend come to mind and heart again.

"hey, hey, wait up!" he says again, trying to catch up because as soon as she noticed that he was basically charging at her, she starts to speedily walk away. "i have to talk to you."

she couldn't even imagine what for. didn't (friend's name) tell him that the double date was off? that is probably the only reason why he would ever talk to her.

wait, what if he was going to ask her for advice on how to wow (friend's name)? she's (y/n)'s best friend. (y/n) wants her to be happy, and he does just that, so of course she would help.

but then, why is she running away from him?