three;

-

they talked as if they had known each other forever, but, maybe, that's how everyone feels and looks when talking to bokuto. he was always the type you can have an easy conversation with, and it was one of the things (y/n) likes most about him.

slowly, she walked behind them, awkwardly listening to their chatter. akaashi seemed like he felt out of place as well, but she didn't know whether or not to try having a conversation with him. maybe he's just a silent person? but man, bokuto is definitely not.

his obnoxious laugh echoes and sends butterflies into her stomach. (friend's name) cringes slightly as (y/n) smiles to herself at the sound of his laughter. god, that was so beautiful.

"so, (friend's name), what is your favorite flower?" bokuto randomly asks, and (y/n) has to watch from afar as her best friend and her crush bond even more.

"sunflowers," she responds, looking over at him with a raised eyebrow. "why?"

"no reason. why are they your favorite?"

"it's a long story." and she told him all about it. they continued to talk the entire way home, and (y/n) was left to sadly watch.

"so, what is your favorite flower, (y/n)-san?" akaashi asks, attempting to include her in a conversation as well. what a sweetheart. she thinks carefully before giving him a response with a bright smile.

"(favorite flower)! it's so beautiful to me," she says, slightly blushing at how enthusiastic she was while telling him her favorite. lifting her eyes from the spot on the ground up to the back of bokuto's head, she watches to see if he was at all interested in her favorite flower too. she sighs.

akaashi begins to understand.

looking back and forth between (y/n) and bokuto, then to (friend's name), he pieces things together. he's definitely observant, unlike his friend.

(y/n) takes one last glimpse at bokuto and (friend's name) before saying goodbye. "well, this is my place. i'll see you at school, guys." she sighs before waving at akaashi, who is the only one paying attention to her, and walking away.

akaashi taps on bokuto's shoulder. "bokuto-san, (friend's name)-san, you've already passed the house."

bokuto looks behind him and sees (y/n) heading towards a house's doorstep by herself.

"eh!?"

"i wasn't paying attention! oh my god, i'm an awful friend!" (friend's name) exclaims, immediately rushing towards her friend. "(y/n)!"

"no, no, it's okay," she says, sending her a thumbs up. "you can hang out with them some more. i need to study anyways."

"aw, man," bokuto says, and her heart skips a beat at how upset he sounded. did he want her to be there? just the thought of it makes her so happy. "akaashi!? i need to talk to you for a minute!"

they meet each other in (y/n)'s front yard but still far enough away that (friend's name) and she can't hear their conversation. what could they be talking about?

then, akaashi, rolling his eyes, agrees with bokuto's plan by slightly nodding his head. "(y/n)-san?"

"y-yes?" she asks, her heart slightly racing. she may be hoping too much, but she hopes bokuto enjoys her presence and wants to hang out with her as well.

"is it alright if i join you?" he asks, softly, his eyes flickering back and forth between (y/n) and bokuto.

her grin slightly drops, but she tries to hide it by pressing her lips together and tilting her head. "of course! u-um, did you need help or something?"

he looks over to bokuto as if asking for help, but he realizes that he is getting nothing from him. "yeah, you passed trig, right?"

"yup!" he walks closer to you, slightly smiling towards (friend's name) when he passes as a way to say goodbye. "d-did you guys want to stay too?"

"sur-"

"hey hey hey! how about ice cream?" bokuto offers suddenly, cutting (friend's name) off. "we can go buy it while you guys study for a little while. hmm?"

"o-okay," (friend's name) agrees, and is immediately pulled by bokuto's strong hand in the direction of the road. "see you soon!"

"bye bye!" (y/n) calls, waving towards them with a sad smile on her lips. once they were out of sight, she turns to akaashi and hesitantly laughs. "so, trig, huh?"

"yeah, about that, i'm not taking trigonometry."