⇿ 28 ⇿

"W-well, I didn't necessarily cheat on you, but I feel like I did. It'sjust thatwe'vebeentogetherforsolongandIfeelstupidforlettingthishappen-"

"Yeonjun, you're speaking way too fast. Slow down, what exactly happened?" Soobin frowned, and his confusion was evident in the way his eyebrows were furrowed.

"I'm sorry" the prince sighed shakily, "It's just that, wh-when Kai showed up, he took me to this café and things were awkward at first, but as time passed we started talking more comfortably. B-but I-I think there were mixed signals, so when I was about to leave after he had bought me a shirt, he kissed me. I pushed away of course, b-but I was scared you weren't going to believe me if I told you and I didn't wanna upset you so I wandered off for a bit and I guess that's why I was so late earlier, and why I kept it from you for a little while."

Yeonjun felt a weight lift off his shoulders after explaining everything, but the weight was instantly brought back tenfolds when Soobin's eyebrows only furrowed further.

"Why wouldn't I believe you?" He asked, and the brunette cast his eyes down to the floor.

"Because no one ever believes me" he admitted.

"Who's no one?" Soobin nudged Yeonjun lightly, and the younger finally looked up from the floor.

"My mother, and my teachers. Whenever I tried to talk to them about Jaengsoo, they thought I was just lying for attention." Yeonjun confessed, and he didn't like the memories that came with mentioning that certain name.

"He was your knight before me, right?"

"Yeah, but, I don't wanna talk about it." Yeonjun dismissed quickly, because maybe the thought of his former knight still traumatised him and he wasn't ready to uncover that part of his life again yet.

Soobin seemed to accept Yeonjun's response and nodded his head, and that alone made the prince melt in relief because he really didn't want to be forced to uncover his past. He didn't want to talk about something like that until he felt he was ready.

"I told you so" Soobin spoke after a little while of silence and Yeonjun titled his head to the side.

"What?" He asked confusedly.

"I told you Kai wanted to date you."

Yeonjun still felt kinda bad over what happened earlier, so he decided to make dinner for Soobin and him seeing as it was sort of late and none of them had eaten yet.

He wasn't a master chef or anything, but he had picked up some things during his time in the palace, so he knew the basics.

For some reason, cooking was calming to him. He felt like he could just delve into his own world, and ignore the millions of thoughts constantly floating around his mind. It was something he was good at too, so he rarely f*cked up and it was refreshing to not f*ck up. It was refreshing to do something without feeling any pressure.

In little to no time, the one-pot he was making was done and he felt somewhat proud of himself. It had been a year or so since he last cooked, and he wasn't even following a recipe so it was a surprise that the food didn't taste bad at all.

Yeonjun called Soobin to the dining room and eventually the two were eating together. They were both drained and weren't raised to talk while eating so conversation wasn't flowing, but that was okay. All Yeonjun needed was Soobin's presence to feel like everything was going right in the world-

Yeonjun glanced to the side upon the sound of someone barging into the room, his eyebrows furrowing when his eyes landed upon a panicked Ryujin. Nothing but fear was evident in the way her eyes were widened, and hands shaking and that made Yeonjun sick to his stomach.

"... What's wrong?" Soobin was the first to speak, but it sounded hesitant. Yeonjun could only guess it was because of how frozen and panicked Ryujin looked.

Ryujin walked closer towards the dinner table and shoved her phone in Yeonjun's face, and it was only upon further inspection that the prince noticed her eyes looked red like she had been crying.

"Read it" was all she said, so that's what Yeonjun did.

However, after he had done so, he really wished he hadn't. Because now his heart felt like it was gaping, and his lips were trembling similar to Ryujin's shaking hands.

"What's on the phone?- what happened?" Soobin questioned desperately, because he hadn't seen the dreaded information yet.

Ryujin simply placed her phone on the table with a distraught expression, a sigh leaving her lips before she opened her mouth to speak the words that no one wanted to believe were true.

⇿ "The King has been executed for treason." ⇿

yup, this chapter was short and boring. i haven't been feeling 'myself' lately, i'm sorry if i'm disappointing you guys. if you haven't noticed, i took an unannounced break from wattpad. i'm kind of having a midlife crisis right now hehe and what happened today yeonjun-wise hasn't helped either (if you know you know).

i'm double updating though because you all deserve it for this long wait. 💜