⇿ 26 ⇿

Yeonjun tucked his hands into his coat pockets, a small sigh leaving his lips. The slightly cold air nipped at his rosy cheeks, and that was when he realised he had been standing here for quite a while.

He checked the time on his phone, making sure he wasn't just imagining things and, much to his discontent, he was right. Kai was late, and it was slowly beginning to feel like the guy was never going to show up.

The prince kissed his teeth, feeling kinda stupid as he balanced on the balls of his feet. He decided to cut Kai some slack and wait for a couple more minutes, then he would forget any of this ever happened and venture further into town where Soobin's job interview was occurring and wait there until it was finished.

The couple minutes passed and Yeonjun felt this fire in his heart as he turned around to leave with a permanent scowl on his face-

"Hey! Yeonjun hyung! Wait!"

Yeonjun paused his movements at the sound of Kai's loud voice, his already rosy cheeks reddening because it felt like everyone was staring at them. It was pretty much impossible for the prince to carry on walking like nothing had happened which made his stomach churn because he wasn't even in the mood to meet someone new anymore.

"I'm sorry I'm late." Kai let out breathlessly, like he had been running.

"S'fine. I didn't have to wait that long anyways." Yeonjun lied even though he was still kinda pissed, forcing a small smile on his face because there was no point in being rude now.

"Still, I'm really sorry." Kai apologised again with a pout.

"Again, it's fine."

Then there was silence.

Pure, awkward silence.

Yeonjun sure as hell didn't know what to say, and it was obvious Kai didn't know either so it was just quiet as they stood together. Probably blocking a part of the pavement, but the prince didn't really care because currently he was brainstorming a way to get them out of this silence because it was beginning to get unbearable.

"Y'know, I've never been to a Starbucks before" he finally thought of something to say, despite how lame it sounded.

"Really? How?" Kai seemed quite amazed by this information however, his eyes now widened in shock and his eyebrows raised.

Yeonjun shrugged, and upon that the younger exclaimed something along the lines of 'you haven't lived' and begun walking into the famous coffee shop as to which the prince followed without another word.

It was times like these when his lack of social interaction throughout his life kicked in, and he couldn't help but feel his heart sink. This was probably his only chance at making a friend in this new city and he was f*cking it up because he didn't know what to say or do-

"I'm sorry again, f-for being late." Kai spoke and it was only then that Yeonjun realised they were seated at a table near the back of the shop.

"Why're you apologising so much?" The prince quirked a brow.

"I'm s-" Kai cut himself off, and Yeonjun broke into a smile. He found it cute how the younger felt a need to constantly apologise.

"I'll go order us drinks-"

"No, wait, I wanna pay" the prince quickly interrupted, a frown dampening his features.

"Please, just let me" Kai insisted before walking off towards the counter, leaving the prince to wallow in a mix of defeat and guilt. He'd never liked people spending money on him. There was just something about it that didn't sit right with him, and he didn't like the stress of feeling a need to repay someone.

Yeonjun watched as Kai spoke to a woman behind the counter, ordering freely without much problem. He envied that. He wished to be able to speak to strangers so easily, because even simple things like ordering food or beverage made him a stuttering and stammering mess.

"I got us caramel Frappuccinos, I hope you don't mind them."

Yeonjun looked up to see Kai slipping back into the seat opposite him, now with two drinks in his hand.

"I love them, actually" the brunette smiled even though he'd never had one before since they sounded and looked nice enough, and because he didn't want to worry the other.

Huening Kai smiled, and that's when Yeonjun realised something;

He liked Kai's smile.

"Wow, this place is cool." Yeonjun let out a gasp, his widened eyes scanning the area eagerly like a child.

"I still can't believe you've never been to a shopping centre before." Kai shook his head lightly and the prince pouted cutely.

"I wasn't allowed out much when I was little" he explained vaguely.

"Why?"

"They were... overprotective."

"So, I'm guessing they aren't anymore?" Kai quirked an eyebrow, and Yeonjun shrugged.

"Something like that."

Kai, thankfully, didn't ask anymore questions, allowing Yeonjun to change the subject as the two found a random clothing shop for the younger to buy the prince a new shirt (since he insisted on doing so).

Somewhere along the line, Yeonjun had begun to feel less awkward, so he found it easier to make small talk with Kai as he picked out a white shirt that was similar to the one the other had ruined the other day.

"I promised to meet someone near here right about now, so I have to get going." Yeonjun announced when the couple had left the clothings shop after checking the time on his phone and realising Soobin's interview was ending soon.

"Aw, really? I wanted to spend more time with you." Kai pouted cutely, and Yeonjun felt his cheeks heat.

"Y-you did?" He stuttered, because he'd never had a boy-friend before and the mere thought had the pit of his stomach bubbling with excitement.

"Yeah, we should do this again sometime." Kai confirmed and those words alone were enough for the prince to inwardly squeal because had he really just made his first friend in this city?

Yeonjun opened his mouth to speak, but he closed it when Kai took a step towards him.

It was only then he realised there were mixed signals, and it was only when Kai placed a hand on his waist that he finally realised how close they were, but before he could push the younger away,

⇿ Kai kissed him. ⇿

this book is ending soon )):

(also wtf was this chapter??)