Chapter 5- Sangus the Soldier

There was a loud knocking on the door. Sangus shot up and checked around him. He was lying in Sera’s bed, and she was beside him completely naked. Her hair was its usual bright red color, like fire. Her face was fair and she was beautiful from every angle.

“M’lady are you up yet? Your father would like to have a word with you”, said the servant on the other side of the door.

Sera’s eyes shot open, revealing her crimson eyes. She quickly looked at Sangus and began throwing him his clothes.

“Go, go, get out”, she whispered.

She hadn’t even bothered putting her clothes back on and she was still running around throwing him his clothes.

“My lady are you up?” said the servant once more.

Sera ran up to Sangus and nudged hi out the balcony, “Go my lover, I shall see you tonight.”

Sangus kissed her one last time before jumping off the balcony and onto the garden grass below. He was still naked and struggling to put his trousers on while clutching the rest of his clothes in the other hand. He made it to the barracks just in time and the soldiers had just begun putting their armor on for practice. He rushed in and changed into his armor.

“Rough night?” said Idrol.

“Something like that”

“Out with your girl again?”

Idrol was the only person who knew Sangus had a girl, thankfully though, he didn’t know who the girl was.

“Yeah”

“I hear the Lord wants to see you, something important apparently”

Shit.

If the lord found out he was sleeping with his daughter, Sangus would be hanged almost immediately.

“Do they wish to see me now?”

“Yes, the captains only told me to tell you to come to the blood citadel at once if I saw you.”

“Thank you for the news Idrol”

“Any time Sangus”

Sangus wasn’t really in the mood to go to the citadel. He had only been there twice in his entire life, and both times were when he was in trouble.

He trotted up the stairs, his light plate armor clanked with every step he took. He reached the top of the stairs where two guards were standing on patrol. They were garbed in red cloth armor with steel plated gauntlets and boots, their scarves covered faces, but Sangus knew who they were, the blood guard. The protectors of the city, ironic really. He had been in more fights than he could count with the blood guard.

“I am told the council seeks an audience with me”, said Sangus bowing.

Without speaking they grabbed his arms and dragged him inside. They tossed him into the counsel chambers and shut the large stone doors on their way out.

Drew was now kneeling before the blood council. Their seats rose like towers before Sangus. They were garbed in black robes, but Sangus knew who each and every one of them was. The one seated in the center of the rest was Sera’s father, Lord Atticus. He was well known for having his pointy razor teeth and for being the oldest blood elf, and the power fullest. He had a unique ability among blood elves to control the blood of any living creature. His eyes were like most blood elves, dark red. He had been known for building the reputation of the blood elves on his own, killing thousands of elves single handedly during the great elven war. His red hair came down to his knees, giving him an even more intimidating look. The other council members were more or less similar, red hair, red eyes, and pinkish pale skin. The council was all equal toward its members, but everyone knew Atticus was the leader.

“Do you know why we called you here, Sangus?” said Lord Atticus, his voice low and full of authority.

“Not really”

“Well let me help clear your mind. Not three moons passed you fought with one of your teachers, am I wrong?”

Sangus remembered the fight, his teacher had beat him with a stick and in retaliation he fought back, of course he had won. But it was strange nonetheless; the teacher had just collapsed and fell to the ground, without warning. It was quite funny actually.

“No sir, that is correct”

“Well I am here to inform you that your teacher is dead. We buried him yesterday”

“Well that is a shame”, said Sangus, he never really felt any remorse for the dead, not even when his father had died.

“It was considering he was one of our best soldiers”

“You flatter me my lord”

“Silence you insolent child!” the lord adjusted himself and quickly changed his tone, “I am sad to tell you this Sangus but the council has decided to give you the same fate as your insane father, death.”

Sangus was shocked, “But why?”

“The council believes that if we end your family line now than you wouldn’t cause us any more trouble, it has been a unanimous decision and our choice is final, you will be executed tomorrow morning at first light”, he clapped his hands and the entire council just stood up and left. It all happened so quickly. Just the day before Sangus was having the best night of his life and now he was to be executed by his lover’s father.

Lord Atticus brushed past Sangus’ shoulder and placed a hand on his shoulder. Revealing his sharp and pointed nails., “At least I wont have to worry about having you sleep in my daughters bed ever again”. He walked off leaving a cold path behind him. That was the reason why he had been exiled, not for beating up a teacher, but for sleeping with Sera. How long had he known? This was even further proof of Lord Atticus’ power, to control people through his intimidation and display of power. But it didn’t matter, he would be dead by sunrise.