forty

I woke up when I found myself falling in my dream, only for it to be reality.

"Fucking shit." I groaned as I laid on Harry's carpet. There I was, on my back with my hands over my face. The sun was shining through the blinds and I didn't want to risk opening my eyes again.

I heard a low laugh somewhere, so I peeked through my hands. Harry was sitting on the edge of the bed, squinting his sleepy and bagged eyes as he smiles at me.

"Why are you down there?" He laughs, standing up and offering his hand.

"I fell off of a dimwit." I returned, accepting his hand. He doesn't let go, just jerks me into a tight hug. At first I didn't even know what to do, then I put my hands on his back.

"I'm glad you're here." Harry says with his raspy morning voice into my tangled hair.

"I am starting to like this as well." I smiled as I attempted to put my chin on his shoulder. He was like 3 or 4 inches taller than me, I think. Maybe less.

"So, you have any more new memories to share?" Harry asks, sitting down on the bed In front of me. He leaned back on his hands while his legs dangled off the mattress.

"I don't know if it was just a nightmare or something, but I dreamt about like a break-in and like screaming and this guy was bloody? That's all I recall from last night." I answered. It was a strange dream, so I can't see how it was real.

"That, actually happened, Rosie." Harry says quietly. "While we were in our new apartment, our neighbor killed her husband for reasons, and we took their sons for a couple weeks or so."

"What the fuck?" I say, not necessarily meaning to. "I m- I mean, I didn't think my dream was real."

"How often have your dreams been memories coming back?" Harry questions, sitting up and taking my hand gently into his as I stand in front of him.

"Uhhh," I think a moment. "Every other night, maybe?" Harry nods.

"That's good." He answers. "You want to go get a coffee from down the street?"

"Sure."

"Do you want to stop by at your house first for fresh clothes? I think your jacket is still wet from yesterday." Harry says.

"Okay, if it's alright."

"Of course." Harry answers, smiling lightly. He stands up and slides on a pair of shoes, then walks downstairs with me following behind him. I put on my dirty and damp converse, then walk out the door to Harry.

We walk down the street until we reach my house about five-ish minutes later. I open the unlocked door, it swinging silently open. "Mom, it's Rosie!" I yelled, my voice kind of bouncing off the walls of the entry.

"Rosie, how was it sweetie?" She says, scurrying around the corner. Her eyes meet immediately to the tall figure that was stood quietly behind me. I look back to him, to see him slightly give my mother a nod.

"Hello, Harry. Didn't know your were here, my apologies." Mother says quietly. Then she turns to me.

"We are going out to breakfast, okay? Is my stuff all upstairs now?" I inform her.

"Yes, your bedroom is upstairs and down the hall." She answers. Mother gives one more smile to me and Harry, then we both head upstairs into my room. It was all white, with a few black accents, like the floor was a charcoal color wood, and rugs and pillows. I liked it a lot.

"It'll be five minutes, I have no idea what I have." I say, opening my closet door, unveiling a walk-in closet filled with clothes. Gosh, I must've shopped 24/7.