twenty-seven

Rosie's POV

"So what's your name, beautiful?" He smirks. I could feel my cheeks reddening, and by the look on his face, that's exactly what he wanted. Harry calls me that all of the time but I guess it doesn't matter who calls me it for my cheeks to blush.

"Rosie." I said. He grabs my hand from off the counter, and shakes it against my will. I gave the unnamed boy a confused look, and he seemed to get it.

"I'm Travis." He smiles. He had brown eyes and brown hair that was a bit messy, maybe from being in the salty water or something.

"Nice to meet you." I said, even though It really wasn't. I wanted this day to be relaxing, not to be bugged by hormonal boys all day. Although he seemed sweet, I'm not sure if I wanted to continue this awkward encounter any longer. "Look, I gotta go and-"

"Will you come play a match of volleyball with us?" He questions, cutting my sentence off as I stepped down from the stool. Now standing, he joins me on his feet. "I swear you'll have fun." Travis smiled, then turned his head to the window. Sure enough, there were his little posse of surfer boys and girls.

"I mean-" I try to think quickly. Ugh, what the hell. "Ok, okay yeah." I said, nodding and smiling. He nods back and places his hand on my elbow, leading the way out of the smoothie cafe.

"Guys, this is Rosie." Travis said, releasing his hand from my arm as we approached the small group. They all smiles kindly, sharing 'hellos' and 'sups'.

"Hello." I said smiling.

We all turn onto the sand, heading for an open court on the beach. We find one, and separate into teams.

"I want Rosie." Travis said, claiming me and pulling me to one side of the court. "You play?"

"I played in high school." I stated. It was true, I played from seventh to twelfth grade. It was fun, I enjoyed it. But I ended up not getting a scholarship for it, but, oh well. Look where I am now, honestly I don't even see college as an option anymore.

"So you're a college chick." He smiles. I didn't know what to say, considering I should be but well... Plans had changed, so I just silently smiled and nodded.

"I'm 19." I blurted out. I figured they were all at least 20 or 21, so I figured I should share that with at least Travis, I don't know why.

"I'm 21, I study marine life." He says.

"That's cool, like, a vet?" I ask.

He laughs. "Yes, kinda. But I'd do more of the surgical and rescue-everything-I-can-handle kind of vet."

"I started studying psychology, because I am training to be a pediatrician." I lied. It's my dream, to be a children's doctor, though. Maybe if all of my shit gets resolved in my life. That would be splendid.

"That's great, a really good choice of yours. You must be very caring." Travis says softly before turning to talk to another teammate. We had 4 on each team, and it seemed that somebody had recruited 2 more people.

On my team as I looked around, we had 2 boys and 2 girls. Travis, another boy. Then me, and another girl. I think her name was Lola, because I thought I heard someone say that earlier. She was beautiful. Long and wavy brown hair, with hazel eyes I think. She was a tanned goddess and she fit in well with this group of people. Everyone looked surfer-like and was really nice, so far.

The first match started and ended in what seemed like a second. So many laughs and funny moments were shared, all in such a short time. Therefor, we decided to play another match to 25.