thirty-six

"Rosie!" Someone says, bursting through the door. My thoughts are drained as I jerk my neck up, opening my eyes.

"Yes?" I say, surprised.

"Honey! We know everything now!" The women, as she walked next to my bed, I realized it was my nurse.

"W-what?"

"The case, your case, it's in the police records. We asked the police as soon as a boy came in and explained everything! He is the one that supposedly admitted you, I guess. Would you like to know your story?" She says, sitting down on a stool, and grasps my hand. I looked at my nails, and they had tan chipped nail polish on them. I don't remember painting them.

"I-I guess?" I stutter, not knowing what's going on.

"Okay, sweetheart. It might be a lot to handle."

"I'm all ears." I flashed a smile. I glanced at her name tag, "Hi, I'm Maggie!" Is what it displayed, with a traditional smiley face stamped on it then a label of "nurse".

"Okay." Maggie squeezes my hand. She was very touchy, but I guess I didn't mind.

"The boy said that you and your boyfriend were kidnapped, and the kidnappers thought that this boy that submitted you here was on their side. I think his name was Neil. So anyways, Neil was secretly helping you two, but the kidnappers didn't know, or somethin' along the lines of that. They took you to a house, threatening to kill your boyfriend if you didn't let them take money. He told you not to give any to them, so they hit you with a gun to the head before..."

"I have a boyfriend?" I mumbled.

"Well, uh-" she paused. She looked sad, looking at my eyes as she spoke. "You went unconscious and they, I suppose, shot him..." Maggie said lowly.

Tears were forming in my eyes. I haD a boyfriend? He's dead? Who is this mystery boy 'Neil'? Who was my boyfriend?

"And another shocking thing was that one of the kidnappers is your father. He confessed at the police station of raping and abusing you. Neil supposedly called the police and they came and arrested them, hence why he was 'trying to protect' you." She explains. "Plus, he had a really cute accent." Maggie giggles, then realizes that I was getting too emotional to even smile.

"What the fuck?" I say, bring my hands to my face.

"Rosie, I know it's a lot to take in. But it will all come back to you, and you'll remember the small things. Your boyfriend practically took the bullet for you, you know."

"I'm sorry Maggie, but that didn't really help." I mumbled into my palms, sucking in the tears. There was a large bandage wrapped around my forehead and matted hair, I assume for my head wound.

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry. You should get some rest, considering I interrupted you." She smiles, patting my thigh before standing up and walking to the door. "Oh, and Rosie. Somebody left a letter or something for you, would you like it now? It came this morning as you slept."

My eyes lit up. Maybe it was from my parents? Where even were they? Besides my dad, since he supposedly is in jail for... Raping me, which I don't recall. But the thought absolutely terrified me. "Yes, please." I said, and she handed me an envelope. "Thank you."

"Anytime darling!" Maggie says happily before exiting out the door, leaving me alone with a low-volumed television in the corner, a mystery envelope, beeping machinery, and my useless self.

I glanced around the envelope, noticing dirty fingerprints scattered around it. I unpeeled the fold, pulling out a lined paper with exquisite but somewhat hurriedly-written handwriting. Didn't look familiar whatsoever, of course. I noticed it was front and back, then I began to read.
••••••••