5.) Cassandra May

Cassandra

Approximately Three years ago...

I stared around sadly at the broken buildings. Tears formed in my eyes, but I blinked them away. "Cass, are you okay?" My co architect Matt asked.

"I'm fine." I replied shakily. But the truth was that I wasn't fine. Around eight months ago, earthquakes shook the city of Christchurch (New Zealand). Buildings collapsed, people were buried, liquefaction spread, and more importantly, the beautiful city was destroyed.

"Are you sure?" Matt asked hesitantly.

"Good as gold."

"Just to let you know, the architect from New York arrives in an hour. She's bringing a friend with her."

"Thanks." I smiled, then picked up my clipboard and walked back to my car.

If you didn't know, New Zealand is a small country. We only have a population of four million. Who cares if we have more sheep then people, we're still a country. And we are known for a few things; Lorde, pavlova, our native wildlife, and heaps more.

As I started up the engine of my car, a stray tear fell down my face. I hurriedly wiped it away, and drove off.

•••

The airport welcomed me, as I made my way to 'arrivals'. Waiting for me was a boy and a girl.

They were both eighteen, and had a kind of sad look in their eyes, like they'd seen things no teenager should've seen. The girl was slightly shorter than the boy, and she had curly golden hair that fell down her back in cascades of blonde. Her eyes were stormy grey, and she wore a simple grey tank top with faded blue jeans.

The boy had messy black hair and sea green eyes. He looked like he was happy to be on the ground, and was staring lovingly at the girl beside him. His clothes were casual: a blue hoodie with jeans.

"Cassandra?" The girl asked me.

I nodded, and smiled. "You must be Annabeth."

She smiled. "This is my boyfriend Percy."

"Nice to meet you Percy." I greeted. He smiled, and we shook hands. "Welcome to New Zealand."

"It's so small." Percy commented.

"You'd be surprised." I replied. "But if you're from New York, then I guess we seem very small. Our largest city is up north, Auckland."

We headed out to my car.

"Woah! You guys drive on the left side of the road?" Percy asked.

I grinned. "Yup."

When we got back to my flat, I asked them if they wanted a drink. They nodded, and headed off to their room. "Do you want L & P, juice or just water?" I called to them.

"What's L & P?" Percy asked. I showed him the bottle.

"Yeah, why not." Annabeth decided.

The flat was only small, just two bedrooms, one bathroom, a study and an adjoint dining room/lounge kitchen. We sat down at the dining table and I gave them the fizzling orangey yellow stuff. Annabeth took a sip.

"Mmm!" She moaned, and took another. I grinned, and sipped mine. The juicy flavour of lemonade poured into my mouth, except L & P is stronger.

"Delicious!" Percy cried, sipping his.

"Tonight I'm taking you two out to New Brighten beach for Fish & Chips." I said thoughtfully.

"But first we need to discuss buildings." Annabeth spoke eagerly, pulling out a pencil and paper.

"Alright." Percy tuned out as we talked about angles, designs, cool corners and stuff like that.

•••

"It's six o'clock." I finally told them, abandoning my pencil and notepad. "Lets go eat!" We rushed out to the car and I drove to the beach.

"Wow." Annabeth murmured, looking at the cliffs and some red-sticker houses. Most of the rubble had been cleared, but it was still an impressive sight. "I heard there was an earthquake, but not this bad." Then I heard her say very quietly to Percy, "why would Poseidon be angry?"

"I don't know." He muttered back. I pretended to ignore them, focusing on the road.

When we got to the beach, I found a good spot and told them to spread the picnic blanket and wait there, then I hurried off to get Fish & Chips. There was a shop near there, so I went there.

When I got back to the sandy shores ten minutes later carrying a newspaper-wrapped bundle, I saw Percy had changed into his trunks and was running through the waves like they were old friends.

"Hey." I murmured to Annabeth, setting down the bundle on the blanket. Then I unwrapped them, and the salty taste of chips reached my nose. It must've reached a nearby seagull's nose too, because it came running up to us. I shooed it away, and poured some tomato sauce on the wrappings, and dipped a chip in.

"Mmm." I murmured, as Annabeth called to Percy. He came running back and plopped down next to Annabeth. That's when the giant black dog decided to attack. It bounded up to us, barreling towards me. Percy pulled out a pen, and un-capped it. I gapped as it turned into a sword. A freaking sword!

Annabeth pulled out a long white bone dagger - almost a sword - thing, and in seconds the beast was gone. "What was that?" I demanded.

"That was a Hellhound." Annabeth said distastefully.

"From the Fields of Punishment in greek myths?" Thunder rumbled following my words.

Percy winced. "Well, you see, greek myths aren't really myths." Then he went on to explain about how I was either a clear-sighted mortal, or a demigod. And I found out that him and Annabeth were half-bloods.

"I never knew my mother." I admitted, just as a holographic symbol of a dove appeared over my head. "Aphrodite?" I guessed. Annabeth nodded, biting into a piece of batter-covered fish.

"Goddess of love and beauty."

The next week was spent doing a mix of architecture and exploring the city. I took them to the botanic gardens, Orana Wildlife park, and of course, the museum.

••• Time Skip ~ Present •••

That happened three years ago. Ever since, I've lived in a camp at a place called Hamner Springs. They have really good hot pools there.

I've lived at this monster-proof camp recruiting kiwi demigods. Annabeth and Percy visit from time to time, giving updates about New York. They got married two years ago, and have a baby girl named Zoë. Annabeth is pregnant again, and is having twins.

The last time they came down, we went to a frozen yoghurt place.

All is good.

For now...

A/N:

Phew! That took a long time to write.

This story is in honour of any of my fellow fangirls who live in New Zealand (me!) and that's a shoutout.

Especially if you live in Canterbury. Like seriously, those earthquakes were terrible!

Yes, I come from NZ. I'm an expert at the Canterbury earthquakes because I've lived through them. Not going to give you my exact location, just telling you...

Anyway, yes the earthquakes are true. Cassandra isn't real (😪) unfortunately, and yeah.

Also, Fish&Chips and L&P are kiwi classics. If you EVER find yourself in New Zealand, you HAVE to try them. Especially L&P. All locations are real. Except for the flat, but I daresay that you might find something similar.

P.S - FROZEN YOGHURT IS DELICIOUS