Chapter 11 - Practice Makes Perfect

A slight breeze ruffled through the open window, stirring the curtains and boy's hair. The page of the calendar fluttered and threatened to flip up but was quickly stilled by [F/N]'s hand. Thick red crosses stared back at him, marking off the days. Only eight were left untouched until there was a bright red circle.

"Inter high prelims. I've only got a week left" the first year said to himself as he uncapped a red marker and crossed through today's date.

From the floor below his mom suddenly shouted, "[F/N]! Are you almost ready for school dear!"

Tearing his gaze away from the calendar, the [H/C] haired player rushed to grab his school bag and shove his practice clothes in it, while calling back, "Yep I'm headed down now!"

He was just about to rush downstairs when a jacket caught his eye. Breathing a sigh of relief that he'd remembered to grab it, [F/N] picked it up, intending to fold it but paused as he felt another gust of wind. It was pretty chilly today and he was sure the owner of the jacket wouldn't mind, so with only a moments hesitation, he slipped it on.

It was a thick and warm hoodie, a nice light blue. [F/N] almost wished it was actually his, but he knew he'd have to eventually return it to it's owner, Asahi. As he trudged down the stairs, his mind wandered to the ace, and he couldn't help but think of how the beefier third year must fill out the hoodie much better.

[F/N]'s mom glanced up as he walked past the kitchen and narrowed her eyes. "Hey kid, that hoodie looks way to big for you, want me to wash it in some hot water and try to shrink it down a bit?"

"Oh thanks mom but it's not actually mine! One of the guys left it here during the sleepover last weekend but I didnt notice it was forgotten till last night, so now I gotta take it back to him but it's kind cold today so I figured I might as well wear it," the teenage boy explained as he grabbed a lunch bento off the kitchen counter and kissed his mother on the cheek. "Well alright then. Have a nice day hun"

The [H/C] haired boy just smiled and waved as he stepped out the door. Walking down the street he shoved his hands in the hoodie pocket to keep warm. That's when he felt his phone buzz with a call, vibrating beneath his finger tips. [F/N] pressed accept and held the phone up to his ear as he blew a hot breath on his free hand.

"Is this [F/N]?"

"Speaking. Who is this?" he asked. [F/N] hadn't bothered to glance at the caller ID before pressing except, however the voice did sound familiar. "Kuroo?"

"You know it! I'm actually quite impressed you recognized my voice," the other male said with a chuckle.

"Well how could I forget it after all the things you've whispered in my ear. What's up tho?" [F/N] said as a smile crept onto his face.

On the other side of the line Kuroo's cheeks went a bit pink. "Oh god don't tease me before school. But I was wondering if you were free this weekend? Bokuto and I are planning on hanging out and he suggested I invite you too. It'll be good to relax a bit so we don't go into interhighs super tense!"

"Mannn where did that courageous, bold Kuroo that I met after the match go? Don't worry, I'm sure everyone one at Nekoma already knows you're a total dork," the Karasuno player was now grinning widely as he approached his school. "Anyways, I'd love to hang out. Since it's a Friday, I could catch a train to Tokyo after practice today and then maybe spend the weekend?"

"Yeah that's perfect! Just let me know when you're supposed to arrive at the Tokyo station so I can pick you up. Shoot I gotta start practice now, but see you soon!" Kuroo said suddenly in a rush, the sound of a coaches voice now sounding over the line.