Chapter 3 - Meeting Karasuno Volleyball Team

For the next few weeks Hinata and [F/N] continued to casually practice together during lunch. And much to the former players dismay, he was starting to miss the sport.
However today as Hinata ran up to him, the short boy looked as if he wanted to say something. [F/N] glanced curiously at him and said "if there's something you want to ask then just spit it out".
Blushing a little and looking at the ground Hinata finally asked "um ... would you like to come meet my team".
There was a moment of silence before [F/N] answered "sure".
Instantly forgetting his nervousness Hinata jumped into the air gleefully and started shouting.
"Calm down or I won't practice with you today" warned [F/N] playfully but it was an empty threat.
The short player grinned at him and soon they began practicing in the grass. All throughout the day [F/N] could feel his excitement mounting.
His friend often talked about his team and how cool they were. But he also said they were very intense sometimes, making [F/N] a little nervous.
As the [H/C] haired boy walked out of his last class he took a steadying breathe and went to find Hinata. Except the short boy ended up finding him first.
"[L/N]! There you are! You still wanna come right" Hinata called out loudly while racing through the halls towards the other boy.
Laughing at how noisy he was being, [F/N] nodded and began following Hinata towards the gym.
Soon they were outside of the metal doors and [F/N] felt almost hesitant to go inside.
But before he could back out, Hinata pulled the doors open and shoved him forward. As they entered several other people turned to stare at them.
"Daichi is it okay that I brought my friend to meet you guys" asked Hinata and the captain nodded with a smile.
A sweet faced, grey haired player walked over to [F/N] and began to introduce himself.
"Hi, I'm Sugawara Koshi!" he said with a welcoming smile. [F/N] returned it with his own small grin.
"Nice to meet you, I'm [L/N] [F/N]" he said politely and Sugawara's eyes widened.
"I thought you looked familiar! But whats the upcoming [L/N] family star doing at Karasuno?" the grey haired boy asked curiously.
Resisting the temptation to sigh [F/N] said "well I was offered several other scholarships but they were all because of volleyball and since I quit I figured I should go to the only school that actually wanted me for my brain ..."
[F/N] let his sentence trail off as he realized everyone in the gym was staring at him. Several more players seemed to have shown up and they were staring too.
"Wow" breathed Sugawara quietly. Laughing and trying to break the silence, the guy Hinata had been talking to earlier approached.
"I'm the team captain, Sawamura Daichi and it's nice to meet you [F/N]" he said while motioning for the other players to introduce themselves.
The next to come forward was a tall guy with long brown hair tied into a bun. [F/N] couldn't remember his name even though Hinata had told him but he figured this was the guy he'd been warned was really shy.
"I'm Asahi Azumane" he said quietly and [F/N] smiled at him in a friendly way before saying "nice hair".
Although both of them were almost the same height Asahi had seemed very intimidated by [F/N]. But now he actually smiled and blushed a little while saying "ah, thank you".
Soon he moved out of the way and a short player stepped towards [F/N]. "I'm Nishinoya Yu! The guardian deity of Karasuno" he proclaimed proudly.
"Wow awesome title" said [F/N] as he started to relax. Suddenly he remembered something Hinata had mentioned to him about this player.
"Your the one who got suspended right?" he asked boldly and Nishinoya's grin dropped off his face. The short player glanced over at Asahi before defensively saying "so what?".
[F/N] put his hands up in defense and said "Ah I didn't mean to be rude! And don't feel bad, I got suspended once for two months". Hinata gaped at his friend from behind because this had never been mentioned before.
Nishinoya talked to him for several more minutes before Daichi told him to get a move on.
The next player was an intimidating looking bald guy. "Names Tanaka Ryuunosuke and don't even think of flirting with our manager" he said threateningly.
Laughing [F/N] said "believe me you won't have to worry about that".
Seemingly satisfied Tanaka stalked away and a group of three players approached.
"Our names are Ennoshita Chikara, Kinoshita Hisashi, and Narita Kazuhito" said the first boy with straight black hair.
[F/N] grinned and said "it's nice to meet you guys, what positions do you play". All three seemed surprised that he was interested in them but happily answered his question. However they soon moved on to get ready for practice.
   [F/N] watched with interest as a grumpy looking player with black hair stepped forward.
   "I'm Kageyama Tobio and why did you quit volleyball" he asked bluntly.
   Hinata came to his friends defense and said "you can't just ask someone that right after meeting them idiot!".
   Kageyama immediately grabbed his by his shirt and began shaking him. As Sugawara and Daichi dealt with those two, the last players approached.
   "I'm Yamaguchi Tadashi and this is my friend Tsukishima Kei" said a boy with slightly greenish hair and freckles.
   "Nice to meet you" said [F/N] as he tried to hide his blush. Unfortunately he found Yamaguchi quite cute however the other player definitely looked like an asshole to him.
   Before they could say anything else someone new walked into the gym. It was a middle aged man, with blonde died hair.
   "Coach Ukai! Come meet [L/N]" invited Hinata while waving the man over to them.
   [F/N] felt self conscious as the coach stared at him slack jawed.
   "Are you [L/N] [F/N]" he asked quietly and [F/N] nodded slowly.
Regaining his composure coach Ukai came over and shook the former players hand before yelling at the other boys to start practicing.
The middle aged man then instructed for [F/N] to go sit on the bench by the manager. Happily he did so and sat down next a very pretty girl.
"I'm Shimizu Kiyoko, it's nice to meet you" the black haired girl said shyly. "Nice to meet you too" [F/N] replied with a boyish grin.
For about half an hour [F/N] idly watched the practice and chatted with Kiyoko. It was a nice and relaxing change from spending his afternoon on homework.
Suddenly a shout of pain echoed through the gym and [F/N] looked around in alarm. Laying on the floor with a bloody nose was Hinata. Rolling away from him was a blood splattered volleyball.
The whole team panicked and rushed towards him, [F/N] on their heels. Asahi was crouched next to the orange haired player and apologizing a mile a minute. Hinata however seemed mostly unaffected by his injury and soon bounced right back to his feet.
This only made his nose bleed worse than ever.
Quickly coach Ukai hurried over and said "Hinata go sit on the bench for a bit, Kiyoko will take care of your nose, everyone else get back to practice".
But the other players hesitated for a moment. Speaking up Daichi said "coach we were about to do a practice match, but now that Hinata's out the sides are uneven".
Coach Ukai paused for a moment and then grinned like he had an idea. "Well how about [F/N] just fills in then".
Everyone turned to look at the aforementioned boy who awkwardly rubbed his neck.
"I haven't played for the past few months so I'm probably a little rusty but I'll give it a try" he said while trying to fight down the excitement.
Most of the players cheered happily that the practice match was back on. Smiling in a motherly way Sugawara handed him an extra practice jersey and shorts then pointed towards the changing room.
Grinning to himself [F/N] quickly changed then headed out onto the court. The teams were already split up and waiting for him.
On [F/N]'s side there was Kageyama, Nishinoya, Ennoshita, Tanaka, and Tsukishima. The other team consisted of Daichi, Asahi, Narita, Kinnoshita, Sugawara, and Yamaguchi.
With a blast from the coach's whistle the game began. It started with a killer serve from Kageyama. But that was received by Daichi who easily passed it to Sugawara.
The gray haired player then set the ball to Asahi in the back row. With a powerful hit the brown haired ace sent the ball flying towards the ground on the other side of the net.
However Nishinoya saved it just in time and passed to Kageyama. [F/N] could have sworn he saw the libero and ace exchange tiny smiles.
[F/N] was quickly distracted by this when the ball was set to Tanaka who slammed it to the other side.
Their team cheered loudly and high fived Tanaka for scoring the point. Several plays went by and the teams stayed pretty even matched. Both had a strong offense and defense.
   But things began to change. As the ball was passed once again to Kageyama he called out [F/N]'s name.
   Knowing what to expect and filled with adrenaline [F/N] ran up towards the net and jumped. The first year only stood at 5'11 currently but when he jumped, at least half his torso was above the net.
   With skill that only comes from years of practice [F/N] hit the ball at an angle so it zoomed right past the blockers and smashed down right in front of the ten foot line. Landing gently he smirked proudly while staring at his palm.
   The skin was slightly red from how hard he'd hit the ball.
  "That was awesome [L/N]!" howled Nishinoya and Tanaka in unison. "Ah thanks" he answered happily.
   Soon though, Hinata up and running so [F/N] was back on the bench. But the former player was now itching to be on the court once again.
   Seeming to notice this coach Ukai approached him. "You love volleyball right" he asked casually.
   "I do and to be honest I miss it" confided [F/N] as he stared at the floor.
   Coach Ukai coughed slightly then said "well ... considering how much experience you have and how good you are, I'd love to have you on the team".
  [F/N] sat in stunned silence for a moment then asked "but there's already twelve players".
   "I know I know, but we could always use an extra" the middle aged man said while smiling cheekily at the first year.
   His face lighting up with a smile [F/N] jumped up and pumped his fist. "Yes!" he shouted excitedly but then clamped a hand over his mouth.
   All the other players stared at him for a moment before returning to the game. For the rest of practice coach Ukai helped [F/N] fill out the nessary forms. At the end when everyone gathered around the coach said "I have an announcement so listen up".
   Everyone looked at him attentively as he cleared his throat then said "I invited [L/N] to join our team as an extra player and he's accepted. So please welcome your newest teammate".
   Instantly Hinata began jumping around and shouting excitedly. Tanaka and Nishinoya both smacked the new player across the back in a friendly way. The others just gave him kind words of welcome like normal people.
   That night [F/N] couldn't contain his excitement and decided to go practice in his backyard.
    Unbeknownst to him, both of his parents were watching through a window. "Look at our baby boy" whispered his mother happily.
   Smiling proudly his father said "I knew nothing could keep that boy away from what he's meant to do".

Hey hey hey! Hope you guys enjoyed and sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. Gonna try and update more frequently but no promises!