Chapter 7 - Preparation

After the training camp and practice match against Nekoma, the team began to train for the Interhigh tournament. Although [F/N] knew the chances of him getting to play were slim, he was still determined to do his best.
"Everyone, did a good job in the match against Nekoma" began Takeda as all the teenagers sat in a semi circle on the floor, listening intently. "Interhigh prelims begin next month on June 2nd" the short teacher continued. "There are no distinct prelims in Miyagi, so we go straight to prefectural preliminaries" added on Coach Ukai as he stared at the team.
"Out of about 60 teams in the prefecture, only one will go to nationals. Lose one match and the journey ends" at these words [F/N] felt a flutter of excitement and also nervousness. "If you want to take revenge on Nekoma, you must take first in Miyagi. There's no other way" Coach Ukai said seriously. "Second place won't cut it".
"Of course Nekoma will have to win the battle to represent Tokyo as well" the blonde haired man added on.
"Those guys can do it!" said Tanaka fiercely. "Yeah, their strong!" Noya said with a gleam in his eyes. With that the team all stood and began practice.
"Give it your all!" shouted Coach Ukai as he swung at another ball, aiming towards Hinata. The orange haired player managed to receive it but was knocked onto his back. "Nice Hinata, now one more" the blonde haired man shouted as he sent another ball towards the short teenager. After Hinata received it, coach called for the next player to come forward.
[F/N] got into position and only had to wait a moment for the ball to come flying his way. Shuffling backwards slightly to get a better angle, he received the ball flawlessly and directed it back to were the setter would be.
"Nice [L/N]" complemented Coach Ukai before sending several more balls at the newest player. Once [F/N]'s turn was over he stepped out the way, giving Yamaguchi the spotlight, and walked over to join Hinata who was drinking from his water bottle.
The orange haired player grinned at him and said "your really good at passing [N/N]! You make the ball go 'swoosh' to the perfect place". Laughing at Hinata's description at his passing,
[F/N] said "thanks Hinata! I'd be happy to do some more lunchtime practice with you if you'd like to improve your passing by the way".
Hinata jumped up and down excitedly and said "that'd be awesome, thank- wait are you saying my passings bad?!". [F/N] laughed a little and suspiciously said "noooooooooooo".
Luckily the wing spiker was saved by Coach Ukai shouting at them to get back to practice, it was time for some hitting drills. Both [F/N] and Hinata set down their water bottles and raced over for their favorite part of practice.
Sugawara and Kageyama were both setting however since Hinata was mostly practicing with the third year setter, to perfect their quick, [F/N] headed over to practice with Kageyama. "Hey Kags, make sure to set them nice and high" said the wing spiker and Kageyama nodded.
[F/N] watched as the ball was sent arching up into the air. He waited till it was at the perfect spot before running and jumping upwards. [F/N] couldn't quite jump as high as Hinata. But the combination of his height and jump allowed him to get farther above the net than his short friend.
Swinging with his right arm, the wing spiker made contact with the ball and slammed it into the ground. However he frowned slightly since it hadn't gone to spot the he'd been aiming for. [F/N] was still having a bit of trouble getting his right angle down. Luckily though, he had another trick up his sleeve.
"Hey Kageyama could you set the ball a little bit more to my left" he called loudly, catching some of his teammates attention. Kageyama nodded and once again set the ball with perfect precision. [F/N] smirked and ran forward but this time when he jumped, he hit the ball down his left hand. This allowed him to direct it exactly were he was aiming for on the right side on the court. When he landed back on his feet and turned around he was face to face with Hinata.
"WOAH [N/N] YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOU WERE AMPHIBIOUS!" the orange haired player said enthusiastically. Laughing, [F/N] said "I think you mean ambidextrous but yah I am actually".
"That's so cool!" said Noya as he high fives his teammate. "Not as cool as your rolling thunder!" retorted [F/N] as he grinned happily.
The rest of practice went by quickly since the whole team was really fired up. After all the nets and equipment had been put up, [F/N] walked over to were Sugawara, Noya, Tanaka, and Asahi we're sitting on the floor with a magazine between them.
"What? What's that" asked Hinata as himself and Kageyama walked over to join the group. "Look" answered Tanaka as he held up the magazine so all the first years could see.
"Shiratorizawa's Ushiwaka is among the top three most-noticed high schoolers in the whole country" said the bald second year. "Shiratorizawa?! Thats where Kageyama couldn't get in" exclaimed Hinata as he stared at the magazine with wide eyes.
"Shut up!" growled Kageyama as Tsukishima and Yamaguchi snickered in the background. As Hinata began to ask about Ushiwaka, something caught [F/N]'s eye. From the other side of the gym, Kinoshita kept glancing over at him like he wanted to talk. So curiously he walked over to the brown haired second year.
   "Hey is something bothering you?" asked [F/N] is a friendly manner. "Oh not really, I was just wondering if we could talk" Kinoshita answered, sounding a little on edge. "Oh alright, let's go outside then" the wing spiker said as he opened the gym doors and stepped out onto the walkway.
   Once they were alone outside, [F/N] asked "so what'd you want to talk about?". Kinoshita bit his lip and stared at the floor for a moment.
   "Well its just that.... I know you've only been on the team for a short while but pretty obvious that your really talented. But currently your only an extra player with the jersey number thirteen" Kinoshita said as he looked up at [F/N] who stared back curiously. The brown haired player sighed slightly before continuing, "don't get me wrong I want to play volleyball as much as you do, however I think you deserve a chance to one day become a regular.... so I'd like to give my jersey and place as player number 7".
   For a moment [F/N] stood frozen with shock then he asked quietly "are you sure?". Kinoshita nodded and said "yah I am". The second year was almost knocked off his feet from the force of [F/N]'s hug. "Thank you! Thank you so much I promise I'll do my best!" The first year said as he practically strangled Kinoshita who was blushing quite a bit.
   Just then the gym doors flew open as the whole team began to depart. But they all paused when they noticed what they just walked in on. "Um did we just interrupt your late night love confession?" asked Noya curiously. Although [F/N] was too excited to pay attention to this comment it only made Kinoshita flush a brighter shade of red. "Of course not idiot!" he retorted as the team snickered.
   "Hurry and go get your bags you too, I'm buying everyone pork buns" said Daichi and [F/N] immediately dashed off to get his belongings.
   As the whole team walked together, chowing down on their pork buns, Noya, Tanaka, and Hinata filled [F/N] in on what he'd missed while talking to Kinnoshita. Of course this was after Hinata almost got his ass kicked for eating before the others had even gotten their food. "So we might have to face Dateko and Aoba Johsai to make it to nationals?" asked the wing spiker before taking a large bit. "Yep" answered Noya before he shoved his entire pork bun in his mouth.
   "Well I hope we can do it" [F/N] said, trying not to imagine the possible idea of loosing. "We tutawey fan" said Noya through a mouth full. (totally can)
   Eventually all the players split up to go their separate ways, and [F/N] found himself walking side by side with Tanaka since they lived near by each other. He soon found it was pretty fun to talk to the other wing spiker since they both quite a bit in common.
   For example they both liked video games and were interested in motorcycles. "Hey you should come over to my house sometime so we can test out this new game I just bought!" suggested [F/N] and Tanaka agreed.
   "I'll cya later [N/N]!" said the bald second year with a sharp toothed grin before waving and walking off. [F/N] smiled and said goodbye as well before unlocking his front door and heading into his house.

Hey hey hey! I really hope you enjoyed but please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes. Also I hope you guys don't mind the slight plot change involving Kinoshita! I'm just trying to make ur character more included in the team :3 oh btw feel free to comment about any specific characters you might like to have your character interact with!