Chapter 6 - Practice Match

WARNING: there is quite a bit of sin in this chapter, so if you don't like that kinda stuff then just don't read!

Today was the day of the practice match. Although [F/N] wasn't part of the starting line up, he was determined to win. As well as get revenge on a certain bed headed captain.
   After playing volleyball for many years, [F/N] was used to pregame nerves. But this time, he was instead filled with excitement and a desire to be on that court.
   Soon the game started and [F/N] watched eagerly from the sidelines. It was a rather new experience for him, since he'd been the ace for all his past teams and often spent the most time on the court. This is what I get for quitting and joining late thought [F/N] with a hint of annoyance at his past actions. But he was quickly snapped back to real life at the sound of cheering and gasps.
   Looking up, he saw Hinata standing triumphantly next Kageyama and from the shocked expressions of the other team, it was easy to guess that the freak duo had just used their quick. This gave Karasuno a lead of 1-0. As [F/N] studied the court his eyes fell to one of the Nekoma players.
   It was the boy Hinata had been talking to earlier, if he remembered right his name was Kenma. Upon first glance, it had been a mystery to [F/N] what position he could possibly play. But now he realized, that Kenma was the setter and a very valuable player.
   As he watched, Kenma turned to Kuroo and muttered something in his ear. The captain nodded and called over another player. This one had brown hair that was all spiked up. It greatly resembled a hedgehog.
   Once the next play started, [F/N] made sure to keep an eye on this new hedgehog guy. Soon enough the ball was passed to Kageyama who set it and Hinata rushed forward to spike. Only a second later hedgehog guy jumped up to block him, but it was too late.
   Although the Nekoma middle blocker had failed to shut out Hinata's spike that time, he soon adjusted to Hinata's speed. Before long hedgehog guy was starting to block everything the orange haired player hit. [F/N] could see that Hinata was getting frustrated and slightly prayed that he'd be able to work around this.
   Everyone watched as the freak duo attempted another quick. But this time something was different. Hinata managed to not get blocked by hitting around hedgehog guy. [F/N] smiled when he realized Hinata had just learned how to change his spike path in midair.
    However it was too late, Nekoma soon claimed victory over the first set and Kuroo flashed a smug smile towards [F/N], who was now itching to be on the court. Coach Ukai seemed to notice this and put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, you can go in soon" he said reassuringly.
   But for now, [F/N] was stuck watching on the side lines as the teams battled. They stayed even on the score for a while, every time one team scored, the other would quickly even things out with another point. As Karasuno started to slip behind, Coach Ukai suddenly called for Hinata to swap out with [F/N].
   Enthralled, the extra player jogged onto the court and got ready. Once again Nekoma served and Noya received perfectly, the ball arching towards Kageyama. "KAGEYAMA" shouted [F/N] as the other boy got ready to set the ball. They made eye contact for a split second before Kageyama set the ball quickly to the wing spiker. Running forward, [F/N] jumped high and got ready to hit.
   Out of nowhere, hands loomed up to block him and [F/N] caught a glimpse of Kuroo's smug face. But with a smirk of his own, the wing spiker made contact with the ball and slammed it right through the block. Landing back on the ground, he felt a sense of satisfaction at Kuroo's shocked expression.
   "THAT WAS AWESOME [N/N]!!"' shouted Noya as he ran forward to high five him. [F/N] smiled and smacked hands with all his teammates. With his help, Karasuno was soon tied once again with Nekoma. It was 23-23. They were so close to victory, [F/N] could practically taste it. But his heart sank a little as one of his teammates flubbed a serve. Now it was 24-23.
C'mon we can do this thought [F/N] as he watched Kuroo get ready to serve. Glancing behind him, he suddenly realized that Tsukishima was in the back row. And well.... his receives weren't the best. Just as he'd expected, Kuroo served straight at Tsukishima who wasn't able to redirect the serve, sending it flying off.
   The Nekoma players erupted into cheers of triumph as they claimed victory with a score of 25-23. Instead of wilting with defeat, the Karasuno players looked like they were out for blood. "We're gonna crush those guys next time" growled Tanaka while he glared across at their ace.
   Walking up to the other first years, [F/N] smiled and said to Hinata "hey you did really good and you didn't even throw up this time!". The short middle blocker grinned brightly as he said "thanks [N/N], you t- wait how'd you know I threw up last time?!".
   "This guy told me," answered [F/N] with a laugh as he slung an arm around Kageyama's shoulders. "Thanks for those awesome sets by the way" the wing spiker added on as Kageyama stared at the floor. "Yah yah" responded the grumpy setter while removing [F/N]'s arms from around his neck. "I'm going to get some milk."
   As Hinata ran off to follow and pester Kageyama, [F/N] turned to face the other two first years. Yamaguchi shot him a hesitant smile while Tsukishima just rolled his eyes. "You guys played pretty good today as well" he said in an attempt to be nice. The freckled boy's voice shook a little as he said "thank you! You too!". Acting uninterested and arrogant as always, Tsukishima replied with a bored "whatever".
   This irked [F/N] who said "although you could use some work on your receives string bean". Tsukishima opened his mouth to respond but he'd already walked off.