01 | Oblivious

Ship Wrecked

Book 2

Chapter One• Oblivious

Oblivious. They were all so oblivious. The flaming sunshine calmly brushed against my pale skin in subtle ways. Soft, airy breezes swept through the wind as if the sea had changed directions. I hated it. I hated the way the sun was so bright when I preferred the stormy nights. I hated the way the air was soft when I preferred the tormented waves. I hated the way everyone acted like everything was alright.

But most of all, I hated Cotillion.

Soft footsteps approached me from behind, causing me to turn my head towards the direction of the sound. " Hey Cy!" A mellow voice of pure kindness called to me. Her big, glowing smile had forced my twisted apprehension into forced happiness. The last click of my heels strung in the air, "Hello Jane."

Ever since the incident due to the wand, she has been one of the few friends who have stuck by me. Like a quick burst of the wind on a broken sail, a flashback crept it's way to me mind showing me an image of a young, scared, and insecure girl driven by greed of beauty who had snatched away the blasted wand out of her own mother's hand. And now here she was, a beautiful smile on her face, and a glow of pure innocence sprayed from her.

"So, Cyrus, have you thought about the surprise you were going to give to Mal for Cotillion?" Jane asked, a tone of desperation hidden in her agenda. A small tappin' noise came from her foot as she slumped back her fingers. It was clear that she was desperate to get this event perfect. Jane was the one plannin' the event but she had asked for me help one night. Dark bags encircled under her shiny ocean blue eyes that I wished I had. "Of course Jane. Don't worry about it. It'll be amazing. You are doing great," I lied smoothly through me tongue, hoping not to stutter of me words. In all honesty, I was completely stuck on what I wanted to surprise Mal. Jane came up to me with her eyes bursting with tears the day she begged me to help her with Cotillion. The lass and I had became close ever since the incident that had torn the kingdom apart. I couldn't resist saying no to the poor girl and agreed to help take some weight off her shoulders. Now they were pressin' hard against me. A small pain spread across me mouth as I tasted the salty, iron flavor of my blood seeping out my swollen tongue.

"Cyrus!" A familiar, heart warming voice spoke to me causing my heart to sing. I turned me body towards the voice coming face to face with Carlos. His shy smile made my insides melt in awe. Over the past year, Carlos and I had gotten a lot closer, but lately, we've both been too busy with everythin' that we rarely see each other anymore. It was times like these that were a luxury, like a pirate treasuring its favorite piece of loot. Times grew distant between us and it almost seemed like he was drifting away from me grasp. A tall 6 foot 3 Jay stood beside him with a goofy smile as per usual. "Hey hun," His nickname rollin' off my tongue so smoothly. I wrapped me arms around him, kissin' his cheek ever so subtly to avoid a print of lipstick on his skin. The kiss felt a bit forced, like an act that I presented to everyone. He, along with Jay, Evie, and Mal, made me feel like everything was going to be okay again.

His smile was wide as soon as I pulled away, feedin' me with a summer of hope. "Hey Jay," I waved to him before hearing Carlos voice again, "H-hey Jane," He cleared his voice, "I-i was wondering if you, uh, liked the carrot cake last night." His stutter had caught me attention off guard. He only stuttered when he was nervous, so why was he nervous?

I squinted my eyes at him, noticing how his eyes averted Jane's cautiously. Carlos head was turned to the side so I couldn't see him clearly but I swear I could see a flutter of flushed red cheeks. The sudden confusion was turning into fury. I looked to Jay, who wouldn't meet my eyes at all.